A walk across the University of Michigan campus is an absorbing experience. The atmosphere is palpable, rich with the spirit of potential, the heritage of past achievements, and the vitality of inquiry and discovery.
So much happens here.
The University of Michigan holds the promise of a different life: A sophomore discovers Thoreau and Woolf. A research scientist identifies a critical gene. A heart patient lives longer and better. An artist creates unforeseen beauty. A professor hones a revolutionary theory. An athlete achieves a championship dream.
It is this breadth of accomplishment and activity in Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint – and beyond – that separates Michigan from other institutions. Students, faculty and staff from all fields have the opportunity to explore, excel, and achieve more here than they would have thought imaginable.
Welcome to the University of Michigan!
We are a University rich in history, academic excellence and leadership. The heart of Michigan’s success resides in our dedicated staff, robust student body and outstanding faculty members, including distinguished composers, novelists and poets, scientists, engineers, physicians, social scientists, artists, and filmmakers. The quality, breadth, and depth of this University’s intellectual resources create a remarkable community of scholars—from our national leadership in the social sciences, medicine, engineering, law, and business to our community’s robust cultural offerings. This is the Michigan Difference!
I am particularly enthusiastic about our campus-wide work in the life sciences, including the Life Sciences Institute, the Michigan Nanotechnology Institute for Medicine and the Biological Sciences, the A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute Consortium for Stem Cell Therapies, our cross-disciplinary research programs, and our premier U-M Health System. As in so many fields, the benefits of Michigan’s work in health care and life sciences research are felt across the state and around the world—fulfilling the mission and role of a great public university dedicated to advancing the public good.
That social contract includes a deep commitment to help strengthen and diversify our region’s economy. We are contributing in myriad ways: with the movement of our inventions and technologies to the marketplace, the creations of entrepreneurial students and faculty, and the development of the North Campus Research Complex, where we are eager to build public-private partnerships.
Ours is a campus of remarkably wide-ranging experiences, cultures and opportunities. This academic year we celebrate the sesquicentennial of the prestigious U-M Law School, as well as 150th anniversary of the Men’s Glee Club. We will open the doors of an expanded Kelsey Museum of Archaeology and a renovated Stockwell Hall. And work continues on the construction of our two most ambitious projects, C.S. Mott Children’s and Women’s Hospital and North Quad residential facility.
The University of Michigan family shares a deep tradition. It is a tradition known to the new students who walk into their first class, to the professors who counsel their graduate students, and to our dedicated alumni around the world. We are called upon to be leaders, and we respond enthusiastically with ideas and actions that help shape our nation and world.
Mary Sue Colemam
2009 FRESHMAN CLASS PROFILE
- 29,965 Applications
- 14,970 Admissions
- 6,079 Enrolled
- High School GPA:
- 27% of students with a 4.0 GPA
- 51% of students with a 3.9 GPA or higher
- 66% of students with a 3.8 GPA or higher
- 85% of students with a 3.6 GPA or higher
- High School Class Ranking
- 27% in top 1%
- 77% in top 5%
- 94% in top 10%
- 99% in top 20%
- Middle 50th Percentile of the Admitted Class:
- ACT Composite of 28–32
- ACT English of 28–34
- ACT Math of 27–33
- ACT Combined English/Writing of 26–31
- SAT Total of 1940–2190
- SAT Critical Reading 620–730
- SAT Math 660–770
- SAT Writing 630–730
- HS GPA 3.7-4.0
- AP and/or IB Credit was granted to over 3000 new freshmen
FRESHMAN ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- High school grades
- Curriculum choices
- ACT or SAT scores
- Extracurricular achievements and leadership
- Special skills and talents
- Unique personal background
- Counselor and teacher recommendations
- TOEFL / IELTS / MELAB (for speakers of English as a second language)
- Three convenient methods of applying- apply directly on-line, print out a pdf application, or request a hard-copy from your high school counselor Deadline for fall freshmen is February 1- a complete list of all freshman deadlines is also available
- The University of Michigan uses a modified rolling admissions process. We will communicate admissions decisions on a periodic basis beginning in late fall through early spring. We will make final decisions on all complete files by mid-April.
- Early fall application is STRONGLY recommended
A DISTINGUISHED UNIVERSITY
- Over 200 degree programs offered by 12 undergraduate schools and colleges
- Over 150 special first-year seminars – only 15-18 students in each
- Several thousand undergraduate research opportunities
- Unique learning communities
- 84% of Michigan grads secure employment within 9 months of graduation; 34% enroll in a graduate or professional program
- Over 400,000 living alumni, more than any university in the world
DIVERSE STUDENT BODY
- Students come from all 50 states and 120 countries.
- 66% of undergraduates are Michigan residents.
- 4% of undergraduates attend part-time.
- 96% of freshmen return for their sophomore year.
- 84% of freshmen graduate within five years.
- 82% of U-M graduates who apply to law school are admitted.
- U-M graduates’ rate of acceptance into medical school exceeds the national average by 7%
- Freshmen from over 1650 different high schools
- 25% of undergraduates are African American, Hispanic American, Native American, or Asian American
- 4% are international students
- Ratio of undergraduate men to women approximately 50/50
- Student body of 26,208 undergraduates and 15,466 graduate and professional students (2009)
- For new freshman campus housing is guaranteed, but not required; 96% choose to live in a residence hall
- Over 900 student organizations, including religious, political, ethnic and social service groups
- Big Ten Sports, with 25 intercollegiate teams and terrific intramurals and recreation
- Cosmopolitan Ann Arbor is one of the all-time great college towns
- Only 25 minutes from Detroit Metro airport and 40 minutes to the City of Detroit and Windsor, Canada
University of Michigan Athletics
FIELD SURFACE: FieldTurf
CAPACITY: 72,000 (1927); 85,752 (1928-48); 97,239 (1949-54);
101,001 (1955-72); 101,701 (1973-91); 102,501 (1992-97);
107,501 (1998-2007); 106,201 (2008-present)
FIRST GAME: October 1, 1927 (U-M 33, Ohio Wesleyan 0)
• Michigan Stadium Project | Premium Seating
• 2009 Construction Impact on Football Game Day
• Michigan Stadium Information and Seating Chart
• Michigan Stadium Information for Guests with a Disability
• Traffic and Parking Information
• 2009 Football Traffic and Parking Update
• Handicapped Shuttle Service
• Prohibited Items at Michigan Stadium | Revised Bag Policy for 2009
• Michigan Stadium History: PDF (387 KB, 10 pages)
• Michigan Stadium Story (from the Bentley Historical Library)
• Michigan Stadium Recycling Program
Michigan Stadium. The Big House. Home of Michigan Football. One of the country’s most classic, widely recognized sporting facilities, Michigan Stadium has come to symbolize the pride, tradition and excellence of the University of Michigan. There is truly no place like it on a fall Saturday afternoon.
In the early 1920s, Fielding Yost formed a vision that would become Michigan Stadium. With winning teams and large fan turnouts, Yost realized the need for a larger football stadium. He asked for the Regents’ approval, but considering the 1921 expansion of Ferry Field, they were hesitant to move forward with a new stadium. With Yost’s dogged perseverance, they finally approved it on April 22, 1926.
The new structure was built on land that had been home to an underground spring. The water posed a problem to the construction, creating a surface that resembled quicksand. It was this moist ground that during construction, engulfed a crane which remains under the stadium today. The high water table also led to nearly three-quarters of the stadium being built below ground level.
Yost envisioned a stadium that would seat between 100,000 and 150,000 people. After much debate, the Regents, the University of Michigan and Fielding Yost reached an agreement by which the stadium would seat 72,000, with the ability to expand to more than 100,000. The construction would be financed not by the taxpayers of the State of Michigan, but by the sale of 3,000 $500 bonds.
Fashioned after the Yale Bowl, 440 tons of reinforcing steel and 31,000 square feet of wire mesh went into the building of the 44-section, 72-row, 72,000-seat stadium at a cost of $950,000. As the stadium neared completion, Yost requested an additional 10,000 temporary seats for the concourse. This request was passed, and Michigan Stadium opened at the corner of Main Street and Stadium Boulevard with a capacity of 84,401 — the largest college owned stadium of any team in the nation.
On Oct. 1, 1927, Michigan played Ohio Wesleyan in the first game at Michigan Stadium, winning 33-0. Dedication of the new stadium came three weeks later, Oct. 22, 1927, against Ohio State, in another Michigan victory. The Buckeyes had hoped for revenge from the dedication of their own stadium five years earlier when the Wolverines came away with a 19-0 victory, but it was not to be.
Since that inaugural season, Michigan Stadium has seen over 35 million fans pass through its gates and over 170 consecutive crowds of 100,000 plus. Many changes and renovations have continuously improved the quality of the facility, while increasing its capacity to its present 107,501. While there are many things known about Michigan Stadium, one aspect that remains a mystery is the location of Fritz Crisler’s seat — the one “extra” seat that is indicated in the capacity number given to Michigan Stadium every year since 1956. Despite this anonymity, the legacies of Crisler and Yost live on as Michigan continues to pack the stadium full of 100,000-plus fans game after game
SIZE: 378’x313’x107′ (Court: 94’x50′)
AREA: 97,260 sq. ft, 8,469,365 cu. ft.
CAPACITY: 13,684 (1967); 13,609 (1968-91); 13,562 (1991-2001); 13,751 (2001-present)
RENOVATED: 1998, 2001
FIRST BASKETBALL GAMES:
Men: Dec. 2, 1967 (Kentucky 96, U-M 79)
Women: Feb. 4, 1974 (Western Michigan 54, U-M 28)
Crisler Arena has been the location for Michigan athletic events for more than 40 years. The men’s basketball team has called Crisler its home since the arena opened in 1967, and the women’s hoops team has used the arena since its inaugural season as a varsity sport in 1973-74. In addition to hosting the Wolverines on the hardcourt, Crisler Arena has hosted several wrestling and gymnastics events over the years as well, becoming a second home on campus for those teams.
Three years in the making at a cost of $7.2 million, Crisler Arena stands as a tribute to Herbert O. “Fritz” Crisler and his outstanding contributions to Michigan Athletics. Crisler, a Wolverine football coach for 10 years, served 27 years as the Michigan athletic director before retiring in 1968. Crisler Arena opened Dec. 2, 1967, with its formal dedication on Feb. 27, 1968.
Dan Dworsky, a linebacker on Crisler’s undefeated 1947 and 1948 football teams, was the architect. The building stands at 107 feet with telescopic seating encircling the arena floor and bringing the total seating capacity to 13,751. Over two million Michigan basketball fans have been treated to Crisler Arena performances by some of the nation’s top men’s and women’s basketball talent, including the Wolverines’ 1990, 1998, 2000 and 2001 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament teams as well as the 1989 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champion team.
Crisler Arena has affectionately come to be known as “The House that Cazzie Built,” for Michigan’s greatest player, Cazzie Russell, a two-time consensus All-American and the first player selected in the 1966 NBA draft. On Dec. 11, 1993, Russell became Michigan’s first basketball player to have his number retired, and the banner commemorating that honor hangs from Crisler Arena’s rafters.
On Feb. 8, 2003, another banner joined Cazzie Russell’s in the south rafters of Crisler Arena, this time honoring the second Michigan player to have his jersey retired. Rudy Tomjanovich was a center for the Wolverines from 1967-70, earning All-Big Ten honors during each of his playing years, as well as All-America honors in 1970. Joining Russell and Tomjanovich’s jerseys are Phil Hubbard (Jan. 11, 2004), Glen Rice (Feb. 20, 2005) and Bill Buntin (Jan. 7, 2006) as well as numerous other banners honoring Big Ten champion, NCAA Tournament and NIT teams.
The facility has undergone a number of renovations in the past 12 years, from modernizing and re-modeling the court, men’s and women’s locker rooms and training rooms, to building a state-of-the-art production studio.
The arena underwent several renovations in 2001. The court itself was redesigned and refinished. Several rows of bleacher seats were installed on the east side of the arena behind the team benches to accommodate the Maize Rage student section. Along the opposite side, courtside seating was added to help benefit Michigan’s endowed athletic scholarship program in addition to a refurbished court with a traditional look.
The most comprehensive renovation involved the men’s locker room. The hallway leading up to the locker room now features maple paneling with photos of Michigan’s All-Americans lining the way. Just outside the locker room door is a tribute to the famous free throw made by Rumeal Robinson that clinched the 1989 NCAA national championship. The locker room itself features new maple lockers, a dry white board wall, and individual shower and bathroom stalls.
In 2002, the women’s locker room underwent major renovations, more than doubling its size and getting a complete facelift. The locker room, featuring maple walls, is highlighted by a dome detailing the team values — passion, trust, unity, discipline and dedication. Each locker has its own bench seat, as well as a leather desk chair. Individual shower stalls were installed, as well as a kitchenette. The team area has a smart board, which doubles as a dry-erase board and a projector screen. A computer for video editing is also new in 2002. The coaches also have their own locker area with their own bathroom.
The weight room went through a renovation prior to the 2004-05 season, a year after the athletic medicine training room sported a new look. Enlarged and completed renovated, it now includes a physician’s office.
In 1998, Crisler Arena underwent its largest renovation, adding a full-service production studio in the press lounge and a video replay system on the overhead scoreboard. The state-of-the-art digital production facility hosts “Michigan Replay,” the football coach’s show, and “Wolverine Sports Magazine,” a weekly program showcasing all 25 Michigan varsity sports. Press conferences, pregame meals and other special events are also held in the Crisler Press Lounge.
The arena has long been the showcase of Michigan Athletics, housing memorabilia and trophies from all Wolverine varsity athletic teams in the concourse showcases. Several showcases display Michigan’s storied basketball tradition, as well as Michigan football’s Tom Harmon’s “old 98” and the numerous conference and national honors bestowed upon Michigan athletics every year.
Throughout its existence Crisler Arena has been the site of numerous postseason events. The Big Ten Women’s Gymnastics Conference Championships were held in Crisler in 1993, 2001 and 2008, and the venue hosted NCAA Regional Championship events in 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2006 and 2007. Crisler was the host venue for the Big Ten Conference Wrestling Championships in 1999 and the 2009 Big Ten Men’s Gymnastics Championships. The venue has also been the site of concerts, commencements, and numerous other activities.
In addition to being an outstanding competition facility, Crisler Arena is a place where Michigan’s student-athletes can train, study or simply relax. Both basketball teams and the wrestling team practice at Crisler. Weight room facilities are open to all Michigan varsity athletes. The athletic training room area and locker rooms are located off the arena’s tunnel entrance. The availability of conference and study areas within the arena aid Michigan’s commitment to academic excellence among its student-athletes.
Crisler Arena Interesting Facts
• Crisler Arena was the home for three other Michigan athletic teams prior to the opening of Cliff Keen Arena: Women’s Gymnastics (1978-89), Men’s Gymnastics (1978-89) and Wrestling (1967-89).
• Ten supply fans can filter a maximum of 350,000 cu. ft. of air per minute. This means that the entire air content of the arena can be changed every 14 minutes.
• The roof is made up of two plates, weighing approximately 160 tons each. The bridge-like construction of the plates allows them to expand or contract given the change of seasons or the weight of snow.
Yost Ice Arena
CAPACITY: 8,100 (1973-74 to 1990-91); 7,235 (1991-92 to 1995-96); 6,343 (1996-97 to 2000-01); 6,637 (2001-02 to present)
DEDICATED: November 10, 1923
RENOVATED: 1973, 1992, 1996, 2001
Fielding H. Yost Field House (1924-73)
Yost Ice Arena (1973-present)
FIRST ICE HOCKEY GAME: Nov. 2, 1973
Yost Ice Arena has served as the home of the Michigan ice hockey team since 1973-74, and over 3 million fans have helped make it one of the most exciting and intimidating venues in college hockey. The atmosphere has helped Michigan on the ice significantly, with over 450 victories at home.
Originally built in 1923 as a field house, the structure was named in honor of Michigan’s legendary football coach and athletic director, Fielding H. Yost. Before being converted to an ice arena in 1973, the building housed the great track teams of the 1950s and the Cazzie Russell-led basketball teams of the mid-1960s. Although no one can fill Yost to capacity (6,637) quite like the Wolverines, a number of others, including local high school teams, recreational leagues and the University’s intramural hockey league, call it home.
Yost Ice Arena is one of the most unique arenas in college hockey not only because it retains the charm of an old barn, but also offers the amenities of the most modern of arenas. In 1992, a $1 million renovation project replaced the rink floor and refrigeration unit and included the installation of a desiccant dehumidification system.
A $5.5 million renovation project at Yost Ice Arena completed prior to the 1996-97 season brought new dasherboards with tempered glass, improved lighting and sound systems, state-of-the art ceiling insulation, and the replacement of end zone scoreboards with fully automated boards on the east and west sides. First floor remodeling included a new pro shop, modernized concession stands and restrooms, new locker rooms and an improved lobby, complete with trophy showcases and ornate woodwork. Seating throughout the venue was reconfigured and sightlines were improved.
The new second floor varsity area houses a well-appointed locker room and training area/weight room suite used exclusively by the Michigan ice hockey team. Second floor renovations also created a new concourse, complete with arena administrative offices, improved restroom and concession facilities, and an elevator. Upgraded press facilities boast an enviable center ice vantage point and offer some of the finest media accommodations in the country for college hockey.
The facility underwent another $1.4-millon of renovation during the summer of 2001, which created a new balcony directly across from the press box that juts out over existing stands and provides 300 new seats. In the entrance to the new seating level is a lounge that opens up onto a platform in the northeast corner on the arena and overlooks the ice. A new stairwell, new restrooms and a kitchen to serve hot food in the new seating area also were added to improve the amenities for the individuals sitting in the new seats. In addition, a center ice scoreboard and monitors underneath the east and west wing balconies were installed.
Most recently, in the summer of 2006, a $2 million project involved the building of a new opponent locker room. It is situated at the opposite end of the ice from U-M’s locker room, making entering and exiting the ice easier for both teams.
On five occasions, Yost has hosted NCAA tournament action. In addition to hosting tournament games in 1976-77 and 1990-91, the West Regional was held in Ann Arbor at the end of the 1997-98 and the 2001-02 seasons. In 1998, Michigan won a pair of games — including a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over the defending national champions, North Dakota — to advance to the Frozen Four where the Wolverines won their NCAA-record ninth national championship. In 2002, Michigan again won a pair of games at Yost to advance to the Frozen Four. Yost Ice Arena also played host to the NCAA Midwest Regional for the 2003 NCAA Tournament, the first year the NCAA hockey tournament expanded to 16 teams held at four regional locations.
Yost Ice Arena’s reputation for inducing a crowd-crazy atmosphere filtered right onto the April 28, 1997, pages of Sports Illustrated, which featured the game-night intensity prominently among its look at America’s Top 50 athletic schools.
Cliff Keen Arena
Matt Mann Pool (1956-88)
Varsity Arena (1989-90)
Cliff Keen Arena (Nov. 15, 1990-present)
Men’s Gymnastics: 1/13/90 (1. Minnesota, 2. U-M, 3. Kent, 4. Western Michigan)
Women’s Gymnastics: 1/28/90 (U-M 181.950, Illinois-Chicago 143.700)
Volleyball: 9/8/89 (U-M 3, Central Michigan 1)
Wrestling: 1/20/90 (U-M 30, Illinois 3)
The site on Hoover Street between the Administration Building and the Intramural Building has been filled by the same structure since 1956. However, the inside of this facility has changed drastically since it was built in the 1950s. Formerly Matt Mann Pool and home of the Michigan swimming and diving teams, Cliff Keen Arena opened in the fall of 1989 after a year-long renovation project and is now the home for Michigan volleyball, wrestling and men’s gymnastics.
Matt Mann Pool was constructed in 1956 as a state-of-the-art building for the perennially powerful Michigan swim team. Constructed at a cost of $828,000, the building included a 75 x 45 foot pool, which was divided into six seven-foot lanes. The height of the ceiling allowed for the building of a diving tower, one of only two in the country at the time of its construction. Standing 27-feet tall, the tower housed one-meter and three-meter boards situated over a 22×45 foot diving well. Matt Mann Pool was first used by Michigan athletes on Nov. 2, 1956. The first intercollegiate athletic event was between Michigan and North Carolina State on Jan. 2, 1957, with the Michigan men swimming to a 53-32 victory over the Wolfpack.
The swimming and diving teams moved to Canham Natatorium in 1988, and Cliff Keen Arena’s three current occupants began using the newly renovated Varsity Arena in 1989. On Nov. 15, 1990, the building was dedicated to and renamed after long-time Michigan wrestling coach Cliff Keen. Women’s Gymnastics, which originally competed in Keen Arena, moved its meets entirely to Crisler Arena in 2004.
The 1,800-seat arena gives every fan an excellent vantage point with its half-circle seating around the competition floor. Adding to the environment is a matrix graphics scoreboard and a concession area. Competing athletes have easy access to the adjacent athletic training, locker and meeting rooms. The media can take advantage of the arena’s five-booth skybox overlooking the sideline action.
Cliff Keen Arena received improvements in the summer of 2002, including an expansion and renovation of the volleyball locker room. The locker room is outfitted with the latest in digital video filming and editing equipment. Volleyball also received a team room that gives the squad a place to call its own and includes a large study area.
Wilpon Baseball and Softball Complex: Alumni Field
RENOVATED: 1992, 1998, 2008
FIRST GAME: May 3, 1982 (Western Michigan 5, U-M 0)
• Seating Chart (PDF: 1 page, 80 KB)
• Photo Gallery
The University of Michigan softball program’s stadium received a complete makeover after the close of the 2007 season, with renovations to provide fans with a cozy viewing environment that establishes the park as one of the nation’s elite sites for competition. Modernizations to the new baseball and softball complex were funded largely by the Judy and Fred Wilpon Family Foundation, which covered $4 million of the $5.5 million softball project.
Additions to Alumni Field include a new indoor hitting facility, press box and media facility, restrooms, concession area, and seating accommodations. U-M inserted an impressive 1,800-seat grandstand complemented by outfield bleachers holding an additional 1,000 seats. The two constructs double the capacity of a stadium that has hosted countless sellout crowds over its tenure.
The allotment also provided for the expansion of the Donald R. Shepherd Softball Building that sits behind the stadium, featuring a new, larger athletic training space and team gathering room, as well as the establishment of a pedestrian plaza at the park’s entrance.
Alumni Field, formerly known as “Varsity Diamond,” has been the site of 14 NCAA regional tournaments (1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008) and two NCAA super regionals (2005 and 2008), which operated as the launching point for the Wolverines’ 2005 national championship. Renovated and landscaped for the 1992 season, Alumni Field is located in the heart of the University’s Athletic Campus. New outfield grass and an infield/outfield drainage system were completed following the 1998 season. The outfield is now laced with an irrigation and watering system that provides for a lush playing surface and a quick drying system.
The start of the 1998 season brought other additions to the Alumni Field complex: an expanded scoreboard, an improved sound system, and the completion of the on-site team locker, athletic training and meeting room facility. The Donald R. Shepherd Softball Building, opened April 3, 1998, was made possible through a generous gift by Mr. Shepherd, and sits behind Alumni Field and adjacent to Michigan’s indoor practice facility, Oosterbaan Fieldhouse.
The first Michigan game played on the present-day site was May 3, 1982, vs. Western Michigan University; the Wolverines split the doubleheader, losing the opener (5-0) and winning the nightcap (2-1). Michigan played its 300th game at the home complex April 5, 1998, posting a 4-3 victory over Ohio State University in the milestone contest. The Wolverines recorded their 250th Alumni Field victory with a 4-1 win vs. Minnesota on April 9, 2000.
Temporary lights were installed when the Maize and Blue hosted the 2002 NCAA Regional 6 Championship, and lights became a permanent fixture in 2003. The first college softball ever played under the lights at Alumni Field was an NCAA Regional 6 matchup between Ohio State and Central Michigan on May 16, 2002, but that game was suspended due to weather and was completed the next day. As a result, the first-ever game completed under the lights at Alumni Field was at the same regional the next day as top seed Washington earned a 4-1 win over Central Michigan on May 17, 2002.
The Wolverines went through the 2002 NCAA Regional unscathed at 4-0, but as a result never had the opportunity to play under the lights at their own field. That opportunity came the following spring on April 15, 2003, when Michigan played its first-ever home night game at Alumni Field in a doubleheader vs. Eastern Michigan.
Winter workouts are conducted in Oosterbaan Fieldhouse, located adjacent to the Alumni Field complex. Complete weight lifting and conditioning, athletic training, academic support services and coaches offices are located in Canham Natatorium and Weidenbach Hall, all within the Michigan athletic campus complex.
Alumni Field is located off South State Street, directly behind Fisher Stadium and the U-M Indoor Track Building, at the west end of Oosterbaan Fieldhouse.
Wilpon Baseball and Softball Complex: Ray Fisher Stadium
CAPACITY: 18,000 (1930-47); 3,000 (1948-85); 4,000 (1986-present)
RENOVATED: 1948, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1983, 1991, 2002, 2008
FIRST GAME: April 21, 1923
U-M 3, Ohio State 2 (5 innings due to rain)
Western Michigan 5, U-M 0
The 2008 campaign marks the inaugural season for the University of Michigan baseball program’s new, modern home: the Wilpon Baseball and Softball Complex, home to historic Ray Fisher Stadium.
Baseball at the University of Michigan has been played on its current site since 1923. In 1967 the stadium was dedicated to Ray Fisher, head coach of the Wolverine baseball team from 1921-58, and a $9 million renovation to the stadium, thanks in large part to Fred and Judy Wilpon, was completed in 2008.
The architecture includes brick and stone, consistent with that of the central athletic campus. The stands are barrier-free and include 2,500 seats, of which 1,700 have seatbacks. A three-story addition includes administrative offices, a state-of-the-art press box, improved public restrooms, concession areas and a ticket office.
Adjacent to the stadium is a 1,600-square foot locker room that features 30-inch lockers, two plasma television screens and a lounge area. The locker room connects directly to the 5,750-square-foot indoor hitting facility that includes retractable doors for ventilation during the summer months and is heated for year-round use. The hitting facility includes two dirt mounds, pitching machines, three indoor batting cages and a state-of-the-art video hitting system. Along the leftfield line are three outdoor hitting cages, in addition to four down the rightfield line.
In addition to hosting Michigan’s regular-season games, Fisher Stadium has also been the site of several Big Ten Conference Baseball Tournaments.
After moving from Regents Field in the early 1900s, the Michigan baseball team played on the site where Yost Ice Arena currently stands. During this time, the layout of the stadium was changed many times to adjust to the wooden stands that were brought over from Ferry Field. When construction of Yost Fieldhouse began in 1921, the baseball stadium was moved 150 feet west, replacing locker and shower facilities that had stood there since 1912.
Completed in 1923 under the Ferry Field name, the grandstands were originally constructed in 1948. Renovations in 1973 included steel stands that replaced wooden ones, and in 1983 new wooden bleachers were installed.
The ballpark was enclosed in 1967 when then head coach Moby Benedict installed the fence with the dimensions including 330 down the lines, 375 in the gaps and 400 to dead center. The fencing lasted 30 years before being replaced prior to the 1997 season. The Wolverines’ old locker room was added under the stadium in 1965, and the coaching staff moved into offices in the stadium in the fall of 1991, which were then renovated in 2002.
Fisher led his teams to a 636-295-8 record, 15 Big Ten Conference titles and U-M’s first College World Series title in 1953.
Phyllis Ocker Field Hockey Field
SURFACE: SRI Sports AstroTurf 1200
FIRST GAME: Sept. 8, 1995 (U-M 2, Delaware 1)
Phyllis Ocker Field, unveiled to the University and Ann Arbor communities in September 1995, is recognized as one of the nation’s finest collegiate field hockey turfs and is a big home game advantage for the Wolverines. In the spring of 2003, Ocker Field received a new playing surface, replacing the original turf with SRI Sports’ AstroTurf 1200. Friends and alumni of the University of Michigan field hockey program raised $500,000 to pay for the new surface. It is preferred around the world for field hockey and was installed at the U.S. Field Hockey National team’s practice facility in Virginia Beach, Va.
Originally designed by Jagdish Janveja and Tom Keast of the U-M Facilities Planning and Design Plant Extension Office, Ocker Field’s initial surface consisted of a seamless artificial turf with a carefully constructed substratum that absorbed all shocks. Bleachers on the north side of the field offer seating for 500 fans. The facility was constructed jointly with the Michigan Soccer Field.
Ocker Field is named for former University of Michigan teacher, athletics administrator and field hockey coach Phyllis Ocker and was formally dedicated on Oct. 8, 1995. Ocker directed the Wolverine field hockey program through five of its early seasons (1974-78). She also served as the University’s third director of women’s athletics (1977-90) and was a member of the 1973 Burns Committee that developed the architecture for the Wolverines’ women’s varsity sport programs.
The Ocker Field site is one of historical significance in Michigan athletics. The field hockey facility is built partially on the site that was home to Regents Field from 1893-1905. Michigan’s famous early 20th Century “Point-A-Minute” and national champion football teams of coach Fielding Yost played at Regents Field, later called South Ferry Field when athletic teams began competing at other venues.
Ocker Field is the fifth home site for Michigan field hockey. The Wolverines played at Michigan Stadium (1973-75), Ferry Field (1976-86), the Tartan Turf (1987-90) and Oosterbaan Fieldhouse (1991-94) before moving to Ocker Field for the 1995 season. Michigan played its first game at Ocker Field on Sept. 8, 1995, beating Delaware 2-1. The field itself was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1995.
Ocker Field first hosted postseason action in 2000 with the Big Ten Conference Tournament. Michigan also hosted first and second round action of the 2001 NCAA Tournament, winning the first two games at home en route to the program’s first national championship.
In 1997, an impressive addition was made to the Michigan field hockey complex with the completion of the South Ferry Sports Services Building. Used by both the field hockey and women’s soccer teams, the facility has separate locker, coaches and meeting rooms for each team, in addition to a satellite athletic training room, officials’ room and storage. The field hockey locker room features spacious individual lockers, while the Maize and Blue team meeting room has state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment for opponent scouting and teaching.
U-M Soccer Complex
CAPACITY: 2,200 (Projected)
FIRST EVENTS (Complex):
Men: 10/12/08 (U-M 5, Western Michigan 1)
Women: 10/10/08 (U-M 0, Penn State 4)
FIRST EVENTS (Competition Field):
Men: 11/29/08 (U-M 2, UC Davis 1)
Women: 8/21/09 (Arkansas 2, U-M 0)
The University of Michigan’s commitment to both its men’s and women’s programs continues with the development of the U-M Soccer Complex. The three field soccer-exclusive facility is part of a $6 million project that is funded by Intercollegiate Athletics resources and gifts.
The women’s team opened up the complex on Oct. 10, 2008, hosting Penn State on the west practice field. The men’s squad took to the the competition field for the complex’s first NCAA Tournament game, hosting UC Davis on Nov. 25, 2008.
The stadium will be built on the site of the current competition field and will be flanked by separate practice fields for both the men’s and women’s programs. The fields are located west of the tennis complex on South State Street in Ann Arbor.
The European-style stadium will feature grandstand seating on both sides of the pitch, room for 2,200 fans, two team locker rooms, restrooms and concessions for spectators and a press area. Michigan architectural firm Jickling Lyman Powell Associates Inc. has been tasked with designing the stadium.
Donald B. Canham Natatorium
SIZE: 59,000 square feet; 8-lane, 50-meter pool; Diving well with one- and three-meter springboards and 10-meter platform
Swimming and Diving: Nov. 8, 1988
• Women: U-M 113, Bowling Green 84
• Men: U-M 135, Bowling Green 69
Women’s Water Polo: Feb. 17, 2001
• Stanford 17, Michigan 3
The University of Michigan continues its commitment to athletic excellence with the Donald B. Canham Natatorium, home of the Michigan swimming and diving and women’s water polo teams. Considered one of the finest college-owned swimming and diving facilities in the nation when it was constructed in 1988, a renovation in 1998 upgraded Canham to a state-of-the art swimming and diving facility.
The 59,000-square foot facility houses a 50-meter pool, eight lanes wide, that can be divided into two separate 25-yard pools by movable bulkheads. The Dick Kimball Diving Pool, located at the west end of the facility, features an Olympic Tower, one- and three-meter springboards, and a hot tub. On the east end of the mezzanine level is one of two full-service training rooms on the U-M athletic campus, which includes physical therapy modalities, a cast room, running pool and physician examination rooms. One of Michigan’s three weight training and conditioning facilities also is located in the natatorium.
Canham Natatorium also features coaches’ offices, a team room that houses team meetings and allows athletes a place to study and relax. The team room has full audio/video equipment, two computers with internet connections, desks, couches and a kitchen.
Completed in 1988 at a cost of approximately $8.5 million, Canham Natatorium underwent comprehensive renovations in 1998 to ensure its presence well into the 21st century. A new roofing system was installed, while the ventilation system was revised to reflect greater concern for the health of athletes. Both pools have new filtration equipment and piping that is totally resistant to corrosion. In addition, ceramic tile was installed on the interior of both pools, creating an environment that is more conducive to faster swimming, as well as more precise diving. Finally, a state-of-the-art lighting system for the competition pool area was installed, permitting lighting levels to be adjusted based upon the level of activity in competition.
The natatorium is named for former Michigan athletic director Don Canham, who retired from his post in June 1988. Canham was an NCAA high jump champion for Michigan in 1940 and went on to coach the men’s track and field team before becoming Michigan’s fifth athletic director in 1968.
In 2002, Michigan dedicated the diving pool in Canham Natatorium to legendary diving coach Dick Kimball, who retired after the season following 43 years of service to the university. Kimball, who was himself a world-class diver for the Wolverines in the late 1950s, coached nine Olympic medalists and tutored five NCAA Champions in his career. Kimball’s divers also collected a record 33 Big Ten Conference trophies.
Designed for Michigan varsity swimmers and divers, the natatorium is available to U-M student-athletes at all times, year-round. As a result, the swimming and diving coaching staffs are able to develop training programs around individual academic schedules, allowing student-athletes to pursue any educational opportunity without interfering with scheduled workouts.
Since its inception in 2001, the Michigan water polo program has called the natatorium home. The Wolverines didn’t ease into the home slate, challenging the nation’s top ranked team, Stanford, on Feb. 17, 2001 in its first home game as a varsity squad. The Wolverines lost 17-3 to the Cardinal but a tradition of coming out of the gate against stiff competition was born. U-M earned its first victory at Canham on March 24, 2001, with a 15-5 triumph over Slippery Rock.
Canham Natatorium, which has a seating capacity of 1,200 people, hosted the 2005 NCAA Women’s Water Polo Championship and 1996 NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships in addition to seven Big Ten Conference Championships: the 1989, 1993, and 2002 women’s conference meets and the 1990, 1996, 2003 and 2008 men’s meets. Canham also has been the site of the 1993 U.S. Open and the 1994 U.S. Speedo Junior National Championship. In April 1992, the Phillips 66 National Diving Championship, part of the Olympic Trials, was conducted at the natatorium.
Suspended around the pool are numerous banners recognizing the success of Michigan’s previous swimming and diving and water polo teams. The east end of the pool showcases Michigan’s NCAA national champion teams. Since 1937, the men have won 11 official national titles, an NCAA record they share with fellow Big Ten member Ohio State. Michigan’s storied men’s program also captured seven unofficial national titles prior to 1937, when the national championship became an NCAA-sanctioned event. On the south side of the building, and continuing around on the north, are banners representing each of Michigan’s Big Ten champion teams. The men won 10 consecutive conference titles from 1986-95 and regained the crown in 1997, 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2009, while the women won a conference-record 12 straight from 1987-98 and also won the 2001 and 2004 titles. Michigan is proud to claim more Big Ten swimming and diving champions than any other conference member.
In only its second season as a varsity sport, the water polo team claimed its place amongst the rafters, winning a CWPA Southern Division and Eastern championship. The Maize and Blue now proudly hang eight division (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009) and four Eastern Championship (2002, 2005, 2008 and 2009) banners inside the natatorium.
Michigan Boathouse at Belleville Lake
LOCATION: Belleville Lake, Belleville, Mich.
SIZE: 6,000 square feet
COMMEMORATED: Sept. 23, 2000 (Boathouse Day)
Preseason: Oct. 26, 1997 (Wolverine Fall Classic)
Home Opener: March 28, 1998 (vs. Virginia)
In the fall of 2000, Michigan centered its annual Boathouse Day around the new 6,000 square-foot boathouse on the shores of Belleville Lake for the first time. The successful day provided the groundwork for years of events to be held at the new home of the Michigan rowing program.
The $1.2 million project, which began construction in the summer of 1999, provides Michigan rowers with everything they need to succeed. The lower level of the facility has two large bays with enough room for all of Michigan’s competitive and training shells and an area for the coxswains to store and maintain their equipment. The second floor features two offices for the coaches and staff, a fully-equipped training room, a locker room and a large classroom for team meetings and evaluating training film. In addition, there is a grand room with cathedral ceilings which features the Wall of Champions, photos of all Michigan Rowing National Scholar Athletes and All-Americans.
Adjacent to the boathouse is a wet-well large enough for three coaches’ launches and a patrol boat from the local sheriff’s department. On the roof of the wet-well is a parquet deck which can be utilized for gatherings and is large enough to place a tent in case of inclement weather.
Belleville Lake, the largest inland lake in Wayne County, is the home of the University of Michigan rowing team, a site it has used since the team’s inaugural varsity season in 1996-97. Both the Wolverine varsity and novice teams practice there daily. Michigan’s home events take place at the scenic lake, which has been the venue for such events as the 2001 and 2008 Big Ten Conference Championships.
The vast 1,220-acre Belleville Lake is known for its picturesque morning sunrises as well as scenic photographic opportunities from the shoreline or the water. The 101-acre Van Buren Park, part of Wayne County’s Van Buren Township, is nestled in the northwestern point of the lake, just off Rawsonville Road, south of Interstate-94 and east of Ann Arbor. The lake and surrounding parks are used for recreational boating, fishing and hiking throughout the year.
University of Michigan Golf Course
ARCHITECT: Alister MacKenzie
Men’s Golf: May 13, 1931 (U-M 15, Ohio State 3; match play)
Women’s Golf: Sept. 19-20, 1980 (Lady Wolverine Invitational, 4th of 8)
Men’s Cross Country: Nov. 1, 1930 (U-M 22, M.A.C. 33)
Women’s Cross Country: Oct. 11, 1985
Michigan’s varsity golf teams compete and practice at one of the finest university-owned courses in the country, the University of Michigan Golf Course. The challenging fairways and greens lie among stately trees, plush rough and hills that offer a breathtaking view of the University’s main campus. In addition to Michigan’s golfers, the U-M Golf Course is also the home course for the Michigan cross country teams.
The University of Michigan Golf Course was designed in the late 1920s by Alister MacKenzie, one of golf’s all-time greatest architects. The Regents unofficially opened the course in the fall of 1930 as the first golfers to play the new U-M Golf Course. The course officially opened in the spring of 1931 and immediately drew praise as one of the finest in America. At the time of its opening, the University Golf Course became just the fourth course to be located on a college campus. The U-M Golf Course is one of only six MacKenzie-designed golf courses in the United States, including the famed Augusta National.
MacKenzie, Golf magazine’s “Golf Architect of the Century” for the first 100 years of golf in America, brought his passion for the sport and of old St. Andrews, Scotland, to Ann Arbor. The U-M Golf Course is another enduring addition to the “Athletics for All” program of U-M Athletic Director Fielding H. Yost, a program he created to touch students for generations to come.
A multi-million dollar renovation completed in the spring of 1994 restored the grandeur of the University Golf Course to the ranks of MacKenzie’s other classics. Orchestrating the restoration was Arthur Hills, a Michigan graduate and one of the foremost golf course architects in America. As an admirer of MacKenzie, Hills understood his focus was not a new course in Ann Arbor, but a return to MacKenzie’s intent.
The renovation included the return of original bunkers, improved tree planting and placement, construction of stately tee areas and an improved irrigation system. A new practice range was added to assist Michigan’s golf squads as well as a number of practice greens and sand traps. The popularity of golf carts necessitated large stretches of cart paths that partition landscaped medians around the course.
In addition to renovations on the course, the clubhouse also underwent a facelift. Team rooms, coaching offices and varsity locker facilities for both Wolverine women’s and men’s teams were added. The pro shop, lobby and refreshment areas were also reconfigured and decorated.
The cross country trail follows the golf course’s rolling terrain, traversing almost all of the 18 holes at some point. The races begin on the fairway of the first hole and are highlighted by a climb up the 10th fairway midway through the race. The women’s 5,000-meter and men’s 8,000-meter races conclude between the first and ninth holes.
Varsity Tennis Center
CAPACITY: Indoor 632; Outdoor 600
Indoor: Preston Robert Tisch Building
Outdoor: William Clay Ford Outdoor Courts
FIRST EVENTS (Indoor):
Men: March 29, 1997 (U-M 7, Ohio State 0)
Women: February 15, 1997 (U-M 9, Western Michigan 0)
The University of Michigan Varsity Tennis Center is located on a 22-acre parcel of land on South State Street just south of the University of Michigan Golf Course. Completed in 1997, the $6 million indoor and outdoor complex provides the Wolverine tennis programs with a state-of-the-art on-campus training and competition site that is an excellent recruiting tool, and a premier and nationally competitive facility to nurture Michigan tennis players for many more decades to come.
The indoor facility — named the Preston Robert Tisch Building after the late New York Giants owner and a prime contributor to the facility — accommodates eight indoor courts. Each court is located 20 feet apart with 24 feet from baseline to curtain. The clean lines of the reflective ceiling and the uniformity of the lighting are textbook examples of indoor court lighting. Using 16 lights per court, the facility lighting produces an average of 165 foot-candles, more than average to host television coverage. These characteristics were key in earning the indoor courts the prestigious “Court of the Year Award” in 2000 presented by Tennis Industry magazine. The indoor building also contains coaches’ offices, meeting rooms, training and locker facilities for the teams and the public, and a museum portraying the storied history of Michigan tennis.
The outdoor facility is named after William Clay Ford, a Michigan alumnus and owner/president of the NFL’s Detroit Lions, who helped begin the fundraising campaign for the facility with a $1 million donation. The outdoor facility consists of 12 championship caliber courts with seating for 600 spectators.
The Varsity Tennis Center has undergone a number of extensive upgrades over the past five years, including the addition of indoor and outdoor electronic scoreboards, individual video cameras on each indoor court, and new indoor and outdoor audio systems.
The facility has served as the host site for some of the most prestigious intercollegiate events, including the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships (2003-04), the Wilson/ITA Midwest Regional men’s (2004-05) and women’s (2000) championships, and the Big Ten Conference men’s (1999, 2009) and women’s (2000) tournaments. In addition to offering excellent facilities for national, regional and conference tournaments, this complex is used to host Michigan tennis camps and the state high school boys and girls championships.
Michigan Track and Field Facilities
Indoor Track Building
Indoor Track & Tennis Building (1974-97)
Indoor Track Building (1997-present)
Men: Jan. 25, 1975 (host Michigan Invitational)
Women: Feb. 17, 1979 (vs. Central Michigan, Macomb Community College)
University of Michigan track and field student-athletes prepare for their competitive seasons using both indoor and outdoor facilities. Located on the Athletic Campus south of Michigan’s Central Campus on South State Street, the U-M facilities offer year-round training centers for both men’s and women’s track and field student-athletes.
Originally constructed as the Indoor Track and Tennis Building in 1974, the completion of the Varsity Tennis Center allowed for the removal of the tennis courts and the 1997 renovations. During these renovations, the Indoor Track Building’s six-lane track switched from a tartan-surface to Durathon-surface, and the pole vault, long jump and high jump pits were moved into the middle of the track.
Michigan hosts several indoor meets during the winter months, including the prestigious Red Simmons and Harold Silverston Invitationals which draw top talent from the Big Ten Conference and midwestern region, as well as the annual Jack Harvey Invitational, named after the long-time U-M men’s track and field coach, who retired in 1999. During the 2008 indoor season, the Wolverines celebrated the 98th birthday of living legend “Red” Simmons at the track building during the highly esteemed Red Simmons Invitational.
The Indoor Track Building has hosted several Big Ten Conference Indoor Championships, including the men’s meet in 1994 and the women’s meet’s in 2005, when the Wolverines won the title in front of their home crowd. In addition, the men’s (1977, 1984 and 2004) and women’s (1987 and 1995) conference championship meets have taken place at the Indoor Track Building.
RENOVATED: 1914, 1921, 1924, 1927-28
PREVIOUS TENANT: Football (1906-1926)
Men’s Track: May 18, 1917 (U-M 104 1/3, Ohio State 57 2/3)
Located north of Fisher Stadium and adjacent to the Intramural Building, Ferry Field serves as the site of outdoor track and field activity for Michigan. A complete renovation of the facility resulted in a redesign for dual field event facilities and an eight-lane Martin embedded 400-meter track.
In 2006, Ferry Field celebrated its 100th anniversary. Bearing the name of Detroit businessman and U-M supporter Dexter M. Ferry, the head of Ferry Seed Company, Ferry Field was constructed in 1906 and initially served as the home field for Michigan football teams from 1906-26. Following the 1926 season, the U-M football team moved up the road to Michigan Stadium and the old stadium began to come down as the north bleachers made way for the new Intramural Sports Building. The playing field was devoted exclusively to track and field, except for use as a military training ground during World War II and as the site of many graduation ceremonies.
Ferry Field has a permanent place in track and field history. As a collegian at Ohio State University, Jesse Owens set three world records and tied another as a sophomore at the 1935 Big Ten Conference Championships held at the University of Michigan’s facility. A time chronology of Owens’ feat shows he tied the 100-yard dash record (9.4) at 2:45 p.m.; set the broad jump record (26-8) 1/4) at 3:25 p.m.; established the 220-yard dash record (20.3) at 3:34 p.m.; and at 4 p.m. set the 220-yard low hurdles record (22.6). Described as the greatest day in track and field history, a plaque commemorating Owens’ accomplishment stands at the southeast corner of Ferry Field.
Al Glick Field House
Construction Start Date: Dec. 2007
Occupancy Date: August 7, 2009
Building Dimensions: 429 ft. x 216 ft.
Total Area: 104,049 sq. ft.
Practice Field: 90,631 sq. ft.
Construction Cost: $26.1 million
The University of Michigan Indoor Football Practice Facility was completed in August 2009. The 104,000 square foot building provides the Wolverines with a modern complex that rivals elite practice structures throughout college and professional football. The $26.1 million dollar project allowed for the creation of new indoor and outdoor practice fields in addition to renovations to the team’s locker room and weight room.
Highlighting the development is a full-size indoor practice field that features a state-of-the-art FieldTurf playing surface. The field has a 20 feet run-off behind each end zone and 25 feet clearance on both sidelines. The height reaches 85 feet in the middle and narrows to 60 feet at the hash marks.
The field house includes a scoreboard, observation deck from the coach’s offices, public restrooms and a 4,000 square foot equipment storage facility.
Adjacent to the new structure, field work will reshape areas to the west and south of the Indoor Building to enhance and expand the team’s current outdoor practice area. The new facility, named the Al Glick Field House and designed by Jickling Lyman Powell Associates, was erected on State Street and connects to Schembechler Hall on the south side of the building.
Along with the new playing surfaces, the project allocated an additional 3,082 gross square feet of renovations to the Schembechler Hall locker room, as well as expanded one of college football’s most venerated strength and conditioning facilities by 2,000 square feet.
Loken Training Center
SIZE: 10,500 square feet
RENOVATED: 2002, 2009
DEDICATED: Jan. 18, 2003
LOCATION: Sports Coliseum
The Wolverine men’s gymnastics program trains inside the newly renovated Newt Loken Gymnastics Training Center. The facility underwent its second renovation in the past decade during the summer of 2009 when head coach Kurt Golder oversaw an expansion project that added over 3,000 square feet. The expansion allowed for the addition of two new vaulting areas, a tumbling strip and rod floor, as well as a new high bar and still rings area with regulation competition matting.
In 2003, a $300,000 renovation project to the Sports Coliseum created an outstanding men’s gymnastics training site that not only helps continue the excellence Michigan fans have come to expect, but is also named in honor of the coach who created that tradition, Newt Loken.
The Newt Loken Gymnastics Training Center was dedicated on Jan. 18, 2003, when the Wolverines hosted the Oklahoma Sooners in the first home meet of the Wolverines’ 2003 season. The 10,500 square-foot facility features loose-foam and resi-pits for a safer training environment for all six competitive events. It is one of the top facilities in the nation for elite level men’s gymnastics training and will help in the recruitment of high-level gymnasts.
Initially known as the Weinberg Coliseum, the facility was built by Fred Weinberg in 1913 and was originally a natural ice rink. Michigan intramural ice hockey teams first used Weinberg Coliseum in 1914, and the “informal varsity” hockey team played its games at the facility as well.
The U-M Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics purchased the building in 1925 after a fire in an adjoining paint shop burned the roof. U-M added artificial ice-making capabilities, as well as seating accommodations for approximately 600 spectators. The Coliseum was remodeled in 1949-50, and the seating capacity increased to 3,500.
Michigan’s last ice hockey game at the Coliseum was a 9-8 overtime loss to Minnesota-Duluth on February 10, 1973. Since the conversion of Yost to an ice hockey arena, several Michigan club sports teams and women’s varsity athletic teams have used the Coliseum for practice.
Donald R. Shepherd Women’s Gymnastics Training Center
22,000 square feet total
17,000 square feet for training
DEDICATED: Aug. 31, 2002
The 22,000-square-foot facility, made possible by a $3.5 million gift from Donald R. Shepherd, a Michigan alumnus, is the practice and training home of the Michigan women’s gymnastics program. The state-of-the-art complex, opened in 2002, has 17,000 square feet of training area which is outfitted with the latest in gymnastics training equipment, including resi- and free-foam pits for each event. There is an additional 5,000 square feet which houses a training room, offices for the coaching staff, a locker room, a team lounge, and a study area for the student-athletes.
The facility is located off State Street near Michigan’s Varsity Tennis Center and offers a panoramic view of the outdoor tennis courts, the U-M Golf Course and the city of Ann Arbor through the large wall of windows on the building’s north side.
Women’s gymnastics home competitions are held at 13,751-seat Crisler Arena, which is also home to the U-M men’s and women’s basketball teams.
Bahna Wrestling Center
SIZE: 18,000 square feet total
DEDICATED: October 23, 2009
Opened in January 2009, the 18,000-square-foot Bahna Wrestling Center houses comprehensive training and support facilities for the Wolverine wrestling program. One of only two stand-alone collegiate wrestling training facilities in the country, the Bahna Wrestling Center features 7,500 square feet of mat space, locker rooms, coaches offices, an athletic training room with a separate hydrotherapy room and a second-floor strength-and-conditioning area.
Three 50×50 Resilite mats provide more than double the Wolverines’ previous wrestling space. Each mat has video-recording equipment and a 62-inch flat-screen TV for film breakdown. Bleacher seating is available for spectators, while cardio equipment occupies the east and west walls overlooking the mats.
The Wolverines’ locker room features 35 custom-made maple lockers, 10 wall showers, bathroom facilities and an adjoining nutritional juice bar. The adjacent team lounge provides the wrestlers space to unwind and catch up on studying. Wrapped in two shades of maple, the lounge includes a flat-screen TV equipped with satellite television, a DVD player, Playstation 3, surround-sound speakers as well as leather couches, a dual conference table/ping-pong table and a workstation with two computers.
Connected to the Wolverines’ locker room, the training room boasts the latest equipment for injury management and rehabilitation. It is equipped with three taping tables, treatment area and a separate hydrotherapy room with hot and cold plunge tubs.
Highlighting the facility’s second floor, the 3,500-square-foot strength and conditioning area overlooks the mats and includes three racks, an extensive range of dumbbells, a plyometric area, core stability equipment as well as additional weight and cardio machinery.
Visitors to the facility are greeted by a spacious lobby that features a Hall of Fame showcase and interactive video kiosk. Wrapped in two shades of maple, the lobby provides direct access to the coaches’ office suite, team lounge and mat space.
The facility is named in honor of former Michigan wrestler Ralph Bahna (1962-64) and his wife, Dorothy as the Bahna’s provided the lead gift to build the Michigan wrestling center. A three-year letterwinner, Bahna was a member of two Big Ten Championship squads under legendary coach Cliff Keen. He captured the Big Ten 123-pound title as a senior in 1964. Bahna is currently chairman of priceline.com and the chairman and founder of Club Quarters, a new chain of private hotels in big city centers. He previously served as president and chief executive of Cunard Lines Ltd. During his leadership, Cunard transitioned from a standout shipping company to a modern-day cruise operator. He was named “The Cruise Industry Leader of the Decade” in 1990 by Travel Trade magazine and became the first chairman of a unified international cruise line organization, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA).
Junge Family Champions Center and Mortenson Plaza
SIZE: 11,400 square feet
This 11,400 square foot facility provides a central recruiting location for University of Michigan athletics, and is also a venue for team banquets, press conferences and other events. It includes a lounge area, kitchen, restrooms, and boasts the Mortenson Plaza, an open-air plaza on the roof adjacent to the Michigan Stadium concourse and Crisler Arena.
The $4.5 million center was primarily funded by a $2 million donation from the Junge family, longtime fans and supporters of Michigan athletics.
“John (Engineering ’64, MBA ’67) and Sue (Education ’65) Junge are both proud graduates of the University of Michigan and have been exceptional fans of the Michigan Athletic Department,” said U-M Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Bill Martin. “We are proud to have the Junge name on a facility that will provide a central point for hospitality and will highlight Michigan’s outstanding athletic tradition.”
John Junge, the president of All-Star Maintenance in San Diego, Calif., has served on the Athletics Department Advisory Committee and, together with Susan Junge, endowed a full scholorship in support of the U-M football program.
“We are proud to have the opportunity to have the Junge family name on a facility that will work for many years in keeping the tradition of Michigan athletics in the forefront,” John Junge said. “Having the chance to give back something to our university is a very proud moment for the entire Junge family.”
The Junges have three sons: Paul, Kurt and Jeff (LSA ’93).
The Mortenson Family Plaza — which tops the Champions Center — was made possible with a $1 million donation from Kenneth (MBA ’69) and Linda Mortenson and family, of New York, N.Y. It will be primarily used for for tailgating, dinners and other outings.
Stephen M. Ross Academic Center
Size: 38,000 square feet
Completed in winter 2006, this $12 million, 38,000-square foot building provides academic study space for more than 700 U-M student-athletes. Adjacent to the Marie Hartwig Building on S. State Street between Yost Ice Arena and Weidenbach Hall, the three-floor facility provides individual and group study areas, computer labs, meeting rooms for tutorial work, a large meeting room and assembly areas for group projects, as well as offices for instructional support staff.
Ross, a New York City real estate developer and U-M alumnus, provided the lead gift of $5 million to build the academic center. The project also was funded privately from Athletic Department gifts, resources and investment proceeds. In all, about 20 individuals and groups made donations.
“Naming the new academic center in honor of Stephen Ross is a fitting tribute to a man who continues to amaze the University of Michigan community with his incredible legacy of giving,” said U-M President Mary Sue Coleman. “His extraordinary generosity will benefit all of our students, but especially our student-athletes, by providing them the resources and facilities to help them excel in the classroom just as they do in sports.”
Ross followed his donation for the academic center with a $100 million gift to the U-M business school — the largest gift ever to a U.S. business school and the largest donation to U-M in its 188-year history — in September 2004. Ross also serves as co-chair for The Michigan Difference campaign, a $2.5 billion fundraising effort for the University.
“The University of Michigan is not only a world-class academic institution, but it also has a premier sports program that serves hundreds of student-athletes,” said Ross. “The program is successful not only because of the skills and dedication of the student-athletes, but also because of the high standards expected of them—and all U-M students—in the classroom.
“I am very pleased to help provide a top-notch learning environment in a new facility where these student-athletes and others can study and receive academic support. After all, the ‘leaders and best’ not only refers to the athletes on the sports field, but also to the students in the classroom.”
The Academic Center also received more than 40 contributions in excess of $10,000. The Harry A. and Margaret D. Towsley Foundation of Midland, Mich., contributed $2 million for the building’s first gift. That support was soon followed with a $1 million gift from honorary campaign co-chairs Donald C. (BSEIE ’55, MSE ’56) and Ingrid A. (BSDES ’57) Graham of York, Pa. Penny (BSDES ’66), campaign co-chair, and E. Roe Stamps of Miami, Fla., committed $500,000 to name its Student Commons, while Joseph D. (BBA ’67, MBA ’68) and Judy Williamson II of Salinas, Calif., have contributed $400,000 for the building.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
As the University of Michigan prepares to embark on its third century, we fully embrace the legacy bestowed upon us by President James B. Angell in our first century. We are proud to offer “an uncommon education for the common man.”
We are a community of learners. We serve our multiple constituents by providing access to and participation in scholarly and creative endeavors on a vast scale. Our academic research enterprise affects the world. The University is defined by a culture of interdisciplinary teaching and research, coupled with academic rigor. We encourage our students, faculty and staff to transcend disciplinary boundaries by tackling complex and vexing challenges facing modern societies at local, national and global levels.
We endorse and promote creativity in its many facets. We recognize the arts as a human essential and a foundation that helps to define our future. We create new knowledge and share the joy of discovery, and we see information technology as a powerful means for broadening access to knowledge and exchanging ideas.
We draw from study and experience to prepare our students for leadership in a wide range of social endeavors, including government, law, education, medicine and business, reflecting the University’s many roles in contributing to good design and decision making within major domestic and international institutions.
We celebrate and promote diversity in all its forms, seeking the understanding and perspective that distinct life experiences bring. We proclaim ourselves a scholarly community in which ideas may be freely expressed and challenged, and all people are welcomed, respected and nurtured in their academic and social development.
We are committed to providing for our students and faculty international learning and teaching experiences that will prepare them for a rapidly changing global community. The University encourages intellectual and cultural exchange in other countries, and programs that deeply engage scholars from disparate areas of the globe. We support and promote student, faculty and staff immersion in local and national communities via service, learning and leadership endeavors. We nurture lifelong relationships with alumni who span the globe.
We advance health care through discovery and practice. We deliver clinical services to people within our state and the world, educate future generations of health care professionals, conduct basic research in fundamental processes of life, and vigorously advance research on the mechanisms, detection and treatment of a spectrum of human diseases. The University champions fitness, disease prevention, and policy research to advance health, quality of life, and longevity of our own community, the nation and the globe.
We stimulate economic growth and development in Michigan and beyond. The University engages in productive partnerships among academe, industry and government to sustain and grow a vigorous and dynamic economy. University students, faculty and staff embody and advance innovative attitudes and entrepreneurial spirit.
We strive to be an exemplary employer and a positive influence in our community. We provide an environment where all employees have opportunities to develop their potential, and where there is a shared passion for excellence and a commitment to respect for one another.
We dedicate ourselves to ethical and responsible stewardship of financial, physical and environmental resources. We look for tools and strategies to create and enhance sustainable practices in all facets of operations and seek to lead in the global quest for a sustainable future.
We gladly accept the challenges and opportunities confronting us and understand that the University of Michigan must change, adapt and grow to meet the needs of a rapidly evolving society. We will always focus on the horizon.
U of M Health System
Three hospitals, some 40 health centers, 120 outpatient clinics, the U-M Medical School and the U-M School of Nursing comprise the University of Michigan Health System, known for quality patient care, path-breaking research, and nationally ranked teaching and treatment.
U-M Hospitals and Health Centers was named one of “America’s Best Hospitals” for the 13th year in a row and received recognition for excellence in 15 areas of specialized care in the 2008 U.S. News and World Report. U-M is the only hospital in Michigan to receive this honor.
In the same rankings, C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital was named one of “America’s Best Children’s Hospitals” and ranked in all seven specialty categories. Most notably, Mott ranks 4 for heart and heart surgery, 15 for neonatal care, 16 for respiratory disorders and among the nation’s best for all other pediatric specialties — cancer, digestive disorders, general pediatrics, and neurology and neurosurgery.
U of M Famous Alumni
James Earl Jones has a U-M degree. So does Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, opera great Jessye Norman, Google founder Larry Page, actress Lucy Liu, Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady, and more than 480,000 others who call themselves Michigan alumni.
Throughout the decades, Michigan graduates have helped shape the world with their words, actions, ideas and leadership. Arthur Miller crafted some of the 20th century’s most powerful dramas, and Tony Fadell created the iPod. Raoul Wallenberg saved thousands from the Holocaust, and Branch Rickey shattered racial barriers in professional baseball.
Their stories and accomplishments are diverse. Their heritage is distinctly Michigan.
Notable alumni include:
- James A. Chaffers, ’69, ’71, is an architect who served as senior design juror for the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial to be built on the National Mall Washington, D.C. He is a professor emeritus of architecture at U-M and the nation’s first recipient of a doctoral degree in architecture.
- Charles Correa, ’53, is a major figure in contemporary architecture whose works includes Bharat Bhavan Arts Centre in Bhopal, the Cidade de Goa Hotel at Dona Paula, the Bhopal State Assembly project, and the Kanchanjunga Apartments in Mumbai.
- Michele Oka Doner, ’66, ’68, is an artist known for public art installations such as the “Celestial Plaza” entry to New York City’s Hayden Planetarium, “A Walk on the Beach” at Miami International Airport and “Flight” at Reagan International Airport.
- Robert Israel, ’64, is a set and costume designer for theater and opera. His creations have been seen at the Lincoln Center Theater, the Metropolitan Opera, the National Operas in London and Tokyo, and the Paris Opera.
- Kenneth Jay Lane, ’51-’52, is a fashion jewelry designer and owner of Kenneth Jay Lane Inc.
- Charles W. Moore, ’47, was an architect and dean of the Yale University School of Architecture whose works include Piazza d’Italia in New Orleans and the Beverly Hills Civic Center. He is the only American architect to be awarded the AIA Gold Medal.
- Warren Robbins, ’49, was an art collector whose collection of African art led to the establishment of the Museum of African Art, forerunner to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art.
- Tony Rosenthal, ’36, is a sculptor best known for his large public art sculptures. He created The Cube in Regents Plaza on U-M’s campus.
- Theodore C. Freeman, ’60, was one of the third group of astronauts selected by NASA in October 1963. He was killed in a training accident in 1964.
- Karl G. Henize, ’54, became a scientist-astronaut in 1967. He flew as a mission specialist on the space shuttle Challenger’s 1985 Spacelab-2 mission.
- James B. Irwin, ’57, was lunar module pilot of Apollo 15, which in 1971 carried a crew of fellow alumni David R. Scott and Alfred Worden. On the moon, he and Scott were the first to drive the lunar rover.
- Jack R. Lousma, ’59, was the pilot for Skylab 3 in 1973 and commander of the space shuttle Columbia in 1982.
- James A. McDivitt, ’59, was command pilot of Gemini 4, a 1965 mission in which fellow alumnus Ed White became the first American to walk in space. He was commander of Apollo 9 in 1969.
- David R. Scott, ’49-’50, flew on Gemini 8 in 1966. He was command module pilot for Apollo 9 in 1969. In 1971, he flew on Apollo 15 with fellow alumni James B. Irwin and Alfred Worden; on the moon, he and Irwin were the first to drive the lunar rover.
- Edward H. White II, ’59, was the first American to walk in space and flew aboard Gemini 4 with fellow alumnus James A. McDivitt. He died in 1967 in an Apollo launch pad fire and was posthumously awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor.
- Alfred M. Worden, ’63, was command module pilot for Apollo 15 in 1971, when his crewmates were fellow alumni James B. Irwin and David R. Scott.
- David Barger is the founder, chief executive officer and director of JetBlue Airways.
- Henry W. Bloch, ’43, is co-founder and honorary chairman of the board of H&R Block, the world’s largest tax services company.
- David A. Brandon, ’74, is chairman and CEO of Domino’s Pizza.
- Manuel Luis Del Valle, ’47, was president of Bacardi Corp.
- Mary Kay Haben, ’79, is group vice president and managing director, North America, of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company.
- A. Alfred Taubman, HLLD ’48, founded the Taubman Company, one of America’s premier real estate developers and operator of regional shopping centers.
- Charles Walgreen, ’28, was the founder of Walgreen’s drugstores.
- Bruce Wasserstein, ’67, is the chairman and CEO of Lazard Ltd and Lazard Group. He also owns New York magazine.
- Ari Weinzweig, ’78, is co-founder of Zingerman’s Deli and wrote Zingerman’s Guide to Good Eating.
- Fred Wilpon, ’58, is chairman and chief executive officer of the New York Mets, co-founder and chairman of the Board of Sterling Equities, and co-founder and chairman of the Brooklyn Baseball Company, which owns the Brooklyn Cyclones, a minor league team.
- Rodolfo Arévalo, ’72, ’73, is president of Eastern Washington University.
- Joanne V. Creighton, ’69, is president of Mount Holyoke College.
- Antonio Flores, ’90, is president and chief executive officer of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
- Walter Harrison, ’69, is president of the University of Hartford.
- Rev. Gerard J. Stockhausen, ’85, is president of the University of Detroit Mercy.
- Beverly Daniel Tatum, ’76, ’84, is president of Spelman College.
- Charles M. Vest, ’64, ’67, is president of the National Academy of Engineering and president emeritus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- David L. Warren, ’76, is president of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities and president emeritus of Ohio Wesleyan University.
- Jon Wefald, ’65, is president of Kansas State University.
- B. Joseph White, ’75, is president of the University of Illinois.
- Arden L. Bement, Jr., ’63, is director of the National Science Foundation and former director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Tony Fadell, ’91, created the iPod. He is senior vice president, iPod Division, Apple.
- Clarence “Kelly” Johnson, ’32, ’33, is considered one of America’s greatest aircraft designers. He established the legendary Lockheed Skunk Works and created such classic aircraft as the P-38, the F-104, the U-2, and the SR-71 Blackbird during his 40-year career.
- Bill Joy, ’75, is co-founder of Sun Microsystems. Fortune magazine has called him the “Edison of the Internet.”
- Thomas Knoll, ’82, ’84, is co-creator of Adobe Photoshop.
- Jeff Masters, ’82, ’83, ’97, co-founded the Weather Underground, the most widely translated weather Web site in the world.
- Kevin O’Connor, ’83, is co-founder and CEO of DoubleClick Inc.
- Larry Page, ’95, is co-founder of Google, the world’s most popular Internet search engine.
- Mary L. Petrovich, ’85, is chief executive officer of AxleTech International.
- Claude Shannon, ’36, is considered the father of information theory.
- Bill Flemming, ’49, was one of the original announcers for ABC-TV’s “Wide World of Sports.” He also announced 11 Olympic Games for ABC.
- Robin Givhan, ’88, is the fashion editor for the Washington Post. She won the Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 2006.
- Cathy Guisewhite, ’72, is a cartoonist and creator of the long-running comic strip “Cathy.”
- Daniel Okrent, ’69, is a writer and editor who was the public editor for The New York Times. He is the author of Great Fortune: The Epic of Rockefeller Center.
- Walter Shapiro, ’70, is an award-winning political columnist and writer whose work appears in USA Today. He has written for Time, Newsweek, Esquire, and the Washington Post.
- William Shawn, ’25-’27, was editor of The New Yorker for 35 years.
- David C. Turnley, ’77, and Peter Turnley, ’78 are twin brothers and award-winning photojournalists. David won the Pulitzer Prize for photography in 1989.
- Mike Wallace, ’39, is a longtime correspondent for TV’s “60 Minutes.”
- Roger Wilkins, ’53, ’56, was a journalist with the Washington Post. He shared the 1973 Pulitzer Prize with Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward for his editorials about President Richard Nixon and the Watergate scandal.
- Daniel Zwerdling, ’71, is a correspondent for National Public Radio. His broadcasting awards include the DuPont, Peabody, Edward R. Murrow, the Investigative Reporters and Editors and the Robert F. Kennedy awards for investigative reporting.
- Keith L. Black, ’78, ’81, is a neurosurgeon known for his pioneering work in treating brain tumors. He is chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery and director of the Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
- Alexa Canady, ’71, ’75, is the country’s first African-American female neurosurgeon. For almost 15 years, she served as chief of neurosurgery at Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit.
- Benjamin S. Carson, ’77, is a pediatric neurosurgeon and director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University. He is the first physician to successfully separate twins joined at the head.
- Kathryn Clark, ’90, is NASA’s chief scientist for the Human Exploration & Development of Space Enterprise. She previously was chief scientist for the International Space Station Program.
- Sanjay Gupta, ’90, ’93, is chief medical correspondent for CNN and associate chief of the Neurosurgery Service at Atlanta’s Grady Memorial Hospital.
- Jerome P. Horwitz, ’50, was an organic chemist who in 1964 synthesized AZT in 1964, a drug now used to treat AIDS.
- William J. Mayo, 1883, was a physician and co-founder of Mayo Clinic.
- Antonia Novello, ’74, was the first woman and first Latina to be surgeon general of the United States.
- John Clark Sheehan, ’38, ’41, was a chemist who pioneered the first synthetic penicillin breakthrough in 1957.
- Kimberlydawn Wisdom, ’82, ’91, is the surgeon general of Michigan. She was the nation’s first state surgeon general and was appointed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm in 2003.
- Stanley Cohen, ’48, is the co-winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine for discovering growth factors in human and animal tissue.
- Jerome Karle, ’44, is a physical chemist who worked on the Manhattan Project. He shared the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1985 for “outstanding achievements in the development of direct methods for the determination of crystal structures.”
- Marshall W. Nirenberg, ’57, shared the 1968 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine for his work uncovering the role of messenger RNA in the protein synthesis process.
- H. David Politzer, ’69, is a physicist at the California Institute of Technology. He shared the 2004 Nobel Prize in physics for discovering the nuclear force that binds together quarks and holds together the nucleus of the atom.
- Richard E. Smalley, ’65, was a chemist who shared the 1996 Nobel Prize in chemistry for the co-discovery of carbon clusters known as fullerenes.
- Samuel C.C. Ting, ’59, ’62, is a physicist who was awarded Nobel Prize in physics in 1976 for “pioneering work in the discovery of a heavy elementary particle of a new kind.”
- Thomas H. Weller, ’36, ’37, shared the 1954 Nobel Prize in medicine for his research on the polio virus.
- Gavin Creel, ’98, was nominated in 2002 for a Tony Award for his role in “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” He also appeared in “Bounce,” a musical by Stephen Sondheim, and the movie, “Eloise at the Plaza.”
- Chip Davis, ’69, is the founder of the music group Mannheim Steamroller, which has sold more than 36 million albums.
- David Allen Grier, ’78, has appeared in TV’s “Chocolate News,” “In Living Color,” “Life with Bonnie” and “DAG.” He has appeared onstage in “Dream Girls” and “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.”
- James Earl Jones, ’55, appeared in “Field of Dreams” and “A Clear and Present Danger.” He was the voice of Darth Vader in the “Star Wars” series and also appeared onstage and in the film, “The Great White Hope.”
- Lucy Liu, ’90, has acted in TV shows “Ally McBeal,” “NYPD Blue” and “ER.” She was also in the movies “Charlie’s Angels,” “Payback,” “Kill Bill: Vol. 1” and “Chicago.”
- Strother Martin, ’47, was an actor in such movies as “Cool Hand Luke,” “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” and “True Grit,” and “The Wild Bunch.”
- Bob McGrath, ’54, played Bob was on TV’s “Sesame Street.”
- Jessye Norman, ’68, is an acclaimed opera singer who has won four Grammy Awards.
- Jack O’Brien, ’61, ’62, is a Tony Award-winning Broadway producer of such hits as “The Full Monty” and “Hairspray.”
- John Rich, ’48, ’49, directed some of TV’s most popular shows, including “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “All in the Family,” “Newhart,” and “The Brady Bunch.”
- Mary Frances Berry, ’66, ’70, is the former chairwoman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. She served on the Commission under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.
- Clarence Darrow, 1878, was an attorney for the famous “Scopes Monkey Trial” and the Leopold-Loeb murder trial.
- Gerald R. Ford, ’35, was the 38th president of the United States.
- Harold Ford Jr., ’96, is chairman of the Democratic Leadership Committee and spent a decade as a congressman representing Tennessee’s 9th District.
- Richard Gephardt, ’65, was majority leader of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1989 to 1995. He represented Missouri and was a former Democratic presidential candidate.
- Tom Hayden, ’60-’61, is an activist who has served in the California State Assembly and State Senate. He was a founding member of the Students for a Democratic Society.
- Nancy Landon Kassebaum, ’56, was a U.S. senator who represented Kansas from 1978 to 1997.
- Amalya Lyle Kearse, ’62, is a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Ken Salazar, ’81, is the U.S. Secretary of the Interior and a former U.S. senator from Colorado.
- Raoul Wallenberg, ’35, was a diplomat who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Holocaust by giving them Swedish passports during World War II.
- Red Berenson, ’62, ’66, played professional hockey for the Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues and Detroit Red Wings. He has led the U-M hockey team to two national championships.
- Tom Brady, ’00, plays quarterback for the New England Patriots. He has twice been named Super Bowl MVP and the 2007 NFL MVP.
- Janet Guthrie, ’60, was the first woman to qualify and compete in the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500.
- Tom Harmon, ’41, was a football player, Heisman Trophy winner and sportscaster.
- Desmond Howard, ’92, was an NFL football player and a Heisman Trophy winner.
- Micki King, ’65, won an Olympic gold medal for diving in 1972 and is a member of the United States Olympic Hall of Fame.
- Branch Rickey, ’11, was president and general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers. He was instrumental in bringing Jackie Robinson to the major leagues and breaking the color barrier.
- Cazzie Russell, ’64-’66, played in the NBA with the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers.
- Rudy Tomjanovich, ’70, is a former NBA all-star and coach who also coached the gold medalist USA men’s basketball team in the 2000 Summer Olympics.
- Charles Woodson, ’97, is a cornerback for the Green Bay Packers and a Heisman Trophy winner.
- Christopher Paul Curtis, ’00, is the author of the children’s books Elijah of Buxton and The Watsons Go to Birmingham: 1963, both of which received Newberry Honor Book awards.
- Judith Guest, ’59, wrote Ordinary People. The novel was made into an Academy Award-winning movie directed by Robert Redford.
- Lawrence Kasdan, ’70, ’72, wrote the screenplays for “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” “The Big Chill,” “Grand Canyon” and “The Accidental Tourist.”
- Jane Kenyon, ’70, ’72, was a poet whose collections include From Room to Room, The Boat of Quiet Hours, Let Evening Come, and Constance.
- Elizabeth Kostova, ’04, is author of the bestseller The Historian.
- Ross MacDonald, ’42, ’52, wrote the hard-boiled detective mysteries featuring Lew Archer. MacDonald was a pseudonym for Kenneth Millar.
- Arthur Miller, ’38, was one of the great playwrights of the 20th century and wrote award-winning dramas “Death of a Salesman,” “The Crucible,” and “Playing For Time.” He received the Pulitzer Prize for “Death of a Salesman.”
- Susan Orlean, ’76, wrote The Orchid Thief. The novel was made into the movie “Adaptation.”
- Betty Smith, ’21-’22, ’27, ’31, wrote A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
- Chris Van Allsburg, ’72, is the writer and illustrator of The Polar Express, Jumanji, and The Wreck of the Zypher.
Source: University of Michigan