Located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of Silicon Valley, Stanford University is recognized as one of the world’s leading research and teaching institutions.
Stanford students stand out for their academic excellence. They come from throughout the United States and the world, representing demographic, economic and cultural diversity
GREETINGS FROM PRESIDENT HENNESSY
President John Hennessy
Thank you for your interest in Stanford University. As its 10th president and a faculty member since 1977, I think Stanford is a very special place.
Stanford is recognized as one of the world’s leading universities. Established more than a century ago by founders Jane and Leland Stanford, the university was designed, as clearly stated in the Founding Grant, to prepare students “for personal success and direct usefulness in life” and “promote the public welfare by exercising an influence on behalf of humanity and civilization.” Today Stanford University remains dedicated to finding solutions to the great challenges of the day and to preparing our students to become the next generation of leaders.
Our students have opportunities to participate in a remarkable range of activities: from academic courses taught by renowned professors and opportunities for research, independent study and public service to an extraordinary breadth of extracurricular activities.
Multidisciplinary research and teaching are at the heart of recent university-wide initiatives on human health, the environment and sustainability, international affairs and the arts. These initiatives offer our faculty and students opportunities for collaboration across disciplines that will be key to future advances.
Our undergraduate students are an important part of these efforts. Stanford undergraduates have opportunities to study with faculty in small classes from their first days on campus, participate in study abroad or spend a quarter in Washington, D.C. Many students become involved in faculty research or develop their own projects and discover the excitement of being at the edge of a field and advancing the frontier of knowledge.
The pioneering spirit that inspired Jane and Leland Stanford to establish this university more than a century ago encourages boldness in everything we do — whether those efforts occur in the library, in the classroom, in a laboratory, in a theater or on an athletic field.
We hope that you, too, find your place at Stanford.
VISITOR INFORMATION SERVICES
The Visitor Information Services (VIS) center is located in Memorial Auditorium. Visitors may obtain maps and information at this location. VIS provides one-hour campus walking tours free to the public each day at 11 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.—except during the winter break and on some holidays—starting at Memorial Auditorium. Private walking tours for groups of 10 or more may be arranged by calling (650) 725-3335 at least two weeks in advance. VIS also offers golf-cart tours each day at 1 p.m., except during finals, the first week of class and academic breaks. These tours are $5 per person, and reservations are required. Call VIS for tour and parking information and driving directions at (650) 723-2560. Visitors interested in information about undergraduate admission or tours for prospective students are encouraged to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at (650) 723-2091.
POINTS OF INTEREST
The Arizona Garden, located near the Mausoleum in the Arboretum, was planted in the 1880s by the Stanfords, adjacent to the site of their proposed residence at the Palo Alto Stock Farm. The home was never built, and the garden was abandoned during World War II. Its recent restoration was recognized in 2008 by the California Preservation Foundation. The 17,000-square-foot garden, filled with cacti and succulents, is open daily at no charge. Volunteers are welcome to help with restoration the third Saturday of each month. Call (650) 723-7459 for information.
CANTOR ARTS CENTER
The Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University presents art in 24 galleries plus sculpture gardens, terraces and courtyards. The center’s diverse collections span 4,000 years and the world’s cultures and number some 27,000 objects, including the largest collection of Rodin bronzes outside Paris. Presenting a wide range of changing exhibitions, docent tours, lectures, gallery talks, symposia and classes, the Cantor Arts Center is a cultural hub for the community and a teaching resource for Stanford. The Halperin Family Wing, added in 1999, includes large galleries, an auditorium, café and bookstore. Admission is free. Call (650) 723-4177.
Stanford has an extensive collection of outdoor art throughout the campus. Among more than 70 sculptures are works by Auguste Rodin, Henry Moore, Josef Albers, Alexander Calder, George Segal and Joan Miró. Stone River by Andy Goldsworthy, Miwok by Mark di Suvero and Three Sentinels by Beverly Pepper are among the newest sculptures on campus. The Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden features the carving methods, cultural traditions and mythological heritage of the Kwoma and Iatmul people of Papua New Guinea. The B. Gerald Cantor Rodin Sculpture Garden contains 20 works by Auguste Rodin, including The Gates of Hell. Call (650) 723-4177.
THOMAS WELTON STANFORD ART GALLERY
The Thomas Welton Stanford Art Gallery, part of the Department of Art and Art History, houses studio art classrooms and offers a rotating exhibit program. During exhibitions, it is open Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends, 1 to 5 p.m. Call (650) 723-2842.
This 285-foot landmark, dedicated in 1941, offers views of campus, the foothills and the Santa Clara Valley. The Lou Henry and Herbert Hoover rooms contain documents and memorabilia from the Hoovers’ lives and travels. The observation deck is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and closed during finals, the first week of class, some holidays and academic breaks. The observation deck houses a carillon of 48 bells, the largest weighing 2.5 tons. The observation deck charge is $2 for general admission and $1 for seniors and children. Stanford faculty, students and staff are admitted free with a Stanford ID, along with their family members. Call (650) 723-2053.
HERBERT HOOVER MEMORIAL EXHIBIT PAVILION
The Pavilion, located next to Hoover Tower, has changing exhibits. Posters, photos and videos from the Hoover Institution Archives document aspects of modern history. The Pavilion is open free to the public Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., except during exhibit installation and holidays. Call (650) 723-3563.
STANFORD MEMORIAL CHURCH
The dominant architectural feature of the Main Quadrangle, Memorial Church was dedicated in 1903 in memory of Leland Stanford and has been non-sectarian since its inception. One especially striking feature of the church is the brilliant mosaic covering the interior walls and depicting scenes from the Hebrew Bible. The stained glass windows depict scenes from the New Testament. The church features some 20,000 shades of color in the tile mosaics, 34 shades of pink alone in the cheeks of the four angels in the dome. Memorial Church features four organs, including the Fisk-Nanney organ, which has 73 ranks and 4,332 pipes. The church is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Docent tours are offered every Friday at 2 p.m. and the last Sunday of each month at 11:15 a.m. Special tours can be set up for groups. Call (650) 723-3469.
Docent-led tours of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Hanna House can be scheduled by calling (650) 725-8352. Tours are held on the first and third Sundays of the month and the second and fourth Thursdays. Reservations are required. Admission is $10 per person. Pets and children under 12 are not permitted, and visitors must wear softsoled shoes. Disabled access is limited. Visithttp://hannahousetours.stanford.edu.
The 150-foot diameter radio telescope, located in the academic reserve in the Stanford foothills, is a popular destination for about 500,000 hikers annually. Known simply as “the Dish,” it was constructed in the 1960s to probe the scattering properties of the Earth’s ionosphere. It weighs 300,000 pounds and is owned and maintained by SRI International. Access to the four miles of service roads for public recreation is limited to daylight hours, and dogs are prohibited.
ROSENBERG ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME ROOM
The Sydney and Theodore Rosenberg Athletic Hall of Fame Room in the Arrillaga Family Sports Center honors Stanford’s athletes. Trophies, pictures and memorabilia dating from the university’s founding are on display. The Hall of Fame Room is open weekdays and before home football games. Admission is free.
THE BIRTH OF THE UNIVERSITY
In 1876, former California Governor Leland Stanford purchased 650 acres of Rancho San Francisquito for a country home and began the development of his famous Palo Alto Stock Farm. He later bought adjoining properties totaling more than 8,000 acres. The little town that was beginning to emerge near the land took the name Palo Alto (tall tree) after a giant California redwood on the bank of San Francisquito Creek. The tree itself is still there and would later become the university’s symbol and centerpiece of its official seal.
The Stanford Family
Leland Stanford, who grew up and studied law in New York, moved West after the gold rush and, like many of his wealthy contemporaries, made his fortune in the railroads. He was a leader of the Republican Party, governor of California and later a U.S. senator. He and Jane had one son, who died of typhoid fever in 1884 when the family was traveling in Italy. Leland Jr. was just 15. Legend has it that the grieving couple said to one another after their son’s death, “the children of California shall be our children,” and they quickly set about to find a lasting way to memorialize their beloved son.
The Stanfords visited several great universities of the East to gather ideas. An urban legend, widely circulated on the Internet but untrue, describes the couple as poorly-dressed country bumpkins who decided to found their own university only after being rebuffed in their offer to endow a building at Harvard. They did visit Harvard’s president but were well-received and given advice on starting a new university in California. From the outset they made some untraditional choices: the university would be coeducational, in a time when most were all-male; non-denominational, when most were associated with a religious organization; and avowedly practical, producing “cultured and useful citizens” when most were concerned only with the former.
The prediction of a New York newspaper that Stanford professors would “lecture in marble halls to empty benches” was quickly disproved. The first student body consisted of 559 men and women, and the original faculty of 15 was expanded to 49 for the second year. The university’s first president was David Starr Jordan, a graduate of Cornell, who left his post as president of Indiana University to join the adventure out West.
The Stanfords engaged Frederick Law Olmsted, the famed landscape architect who created New York’s Central Park, to design the physical plan for the university. The collaboration was contentious, but finally resulted in an organization of quadrangles on an east-west axis. Today, as Stanford continues to expand, the university’s architects attempt to respect those original university plans.
THE NEW CENTURY
After Leland Stanford’s death in 1893, the university entered several years of financial and legal uncertainties resulting from federal challenges to his estate. During that time, Jane Stanford took over the responsibility of ensuring that the new university would prosper. The estate was released from probate in 1898 and the following year, after selling her railroad holdings, Jane Stanford turned over $11 million to the university trustees. What President Jordan termed “six pretty long years” had come to a close. During that time, he said, “the future of a university hung by a single thread, the love of a good woman.”
Jane died in 1905, after having relinquished to the university trustees control over the university’s affairs and having supervised construction of the buildings she and her husband had envisioned, including the magnificent Memorial Church.
The 1906 Earthquake
Early on the morning of April 18, 1906, a violent earthquake wrecked many of the new buildings and killed two people on campus. Some of the structures were never rebuilt; others, like the church, would rise again. Graduation was postponed until September, but by then there was no doubt that Stanford’s entrepreneurial spirit would carry it through whatever obstacles lay ahead.
In the following years, Stanford opened professional schools of medicine, business, engineering, education and law. The university lost more than 70 men and women in World War I. In its aftermath, Herbert Hoover, a graduate of Stanford’s pioneer class who by then was working in war relief, donated materials and money to establish a collection of documents on war and peace. That collection would eventually become the Hoover Institution. In 1928, Hoover was elected president of the United States.
In 1934, alumni volunteers formed “Stanford Associates” to raise money for the university and ensure the development of its programs and facilities. From then on, Stanford alumni would play a key role in maintaining the university’s expansion and improvement.
THE RISE OF SILICON VALLEY
Stanford alumni David Packard and William Hewlett in their Palo Alto garage, later dubbed “the Birthplace of Silicon Valley.”
In 1939, with the encouragement of their professor and mentor, Frederick Terman, Stanford alumni David Packard and William Hewlett established a little electronics company in a Palo Alto garage. That garage would later be dubbed “the Birthplace of Silicon Valley.” Over the following years, Stanford would be a wellspring of innovation, producing advances in research and the formation of many companies that have made Silicon Valley one of the most innovative and productive high-tech regions in the world.
In 1947, professor William W. Hansen unveiled an electron linear accelerator prototype, and the following year construction began on a new Microwave Laboratory. In 1951 Varian Associates built a research and development lab on the edge of campus that would become the famed Stanford Industrial Park, now known as Stanford Research Park. In 1952, Stanford won its first Nobel Prize, which went to physics Professor Felix Bloch; three years later his colleague Willis Lamb, Jr. also won a Nobel.
Under the leadership of Terman, a professor of electrical engineering who served as provost from 1955 to 1965, the university embarked upon a campaign to build “steeples of excellence,” clusters of outstanding science and engineering researchers who would attract the best students. His role in fostering close ties between Stanford students and the emerging technology industries has led some to consider him the father of Silicon Valley. He created an entrepreneurial spirit that today extends to every academic discipline at Stanford.
Two of the university’s most iconic scientific institutions were built in the 1960s: the 2-mile-long Stanford Linear Accelerator (SLAC), which slices under Interstate 280; and “the Dish,” a 150-foot diameter radio antenna in the foothills built as a joint venture between the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) and the Air Force. Also in the 1960s, Professor John Chowning developed FM sound synthesis to digitally generate sounds, leading to the invention of the music synthesizer.
In the early 1970s, professor Vinton Cerf, known as the “father of the Internet,” developed with a colleague the TCP/IP protocols which would become the standard for Internet communication between computers. In the 1980s, John Cioffi and his students realized that traditional phone lines could be used for high-speed data transmission, leading to the development of digital subscriber lines (DSL). In 1991, SLAC physicist Paul Kunz set up the first web server in the U.S. after visiting Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web, in Geneva, Switzerland.
The Internet, of course, is central to the story of Silicon Valley. The world’s most popular search engine and one of the world’s most influential companies, Google, got its start at Stanford when Sergey Brin and Larry Page developed the page rank algorithm while they were computer science graduate students in the 1990s. Before them, alumni Jerry Yang and David Filo launched a Web directory called Yahoo! Other legendary Silicon Valley companies with strong ties to Stanford include Cisco Systems, Hewlett-Packard Company, Intuit, Silicon Graphics, and Sun Microsystems.
CHANGING TIMES & CAMPUS
The post-war years were a time of tremendous growth and change as Stanford expanded its national reputation as a leading university. A record 8,223 students showed up for class in Fall 1947, including many former soldiers taking advantage of the G.I. Bill of Rights.
As all great universities, Stanford both reflected and acted upon the larger world. Stanford students and faculty were actively involved in the civil rights movements of the 1960s and 70s. They participated in the voter registration drives in the South, and in April 1964, the campus welcomed Martin Luther King Jr., who addressed an overflow crowd at Memorial Auditorium. The university became home in 1965 to the earliest known student group advocating civil rights for gays and lesbians.
Students took action in the 1960s and 70s.
Stanford also shared with other universities the political tensions and activities that came about as the result of the Vietnam War. The first antiwar rally took place in February 1965. The years 1968-1971 were marked by turmoil, including strikes and sit-ins; students and faculty were particularly concerned about ROTC training, CIA recruitment and Stanford’s role as a defense researcher.
Racial politics also rose to prominence during those years. In the aftermath of Martin Luther King’s assassination, students successfully demanded that more non-white students be recruited and admitted. In 1969, the African and Afro-American interdisciplinary major was launched, possibly the first such program at a major private university. Stanford also undertook a recruitment drive to attract Native Americans to the campus, an effort that coincided with the demise of the “Indian” as Stanford’s mascot. As at other universities, the movement to end apartheid in South Africa mobilized students over a period of a decade or more. The university eventually would divest many of its holdings in companies that did business in South Africa. In 1985, in a singular honor, Stanford was chosen to house the papers of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Women had formed part of Stanford’s student body from the very start, but neither they nor the female faculty had attained anything close to parity during the university’s first decades. In fact, Jane Stanford had specified that no more than 500 female students ever be enrolled at one time. That was changed in the 1930s, when the Board of Trustees decided that the number could increase but that the proportion of men to women should remain constant. All those limitations were abolished in 1973. Feminist Studies was established as an interdisciplinary major in 1981, and the Center for Research on Women, today the Clayman Institute for Gender Research, opened in 1986.
As at other schools, traditional Western Civilization requirements came under fire in the 1980s in the so-called “culture wars.” At Stanford, the course was replaced in 1988 by a “Cultures, Ideas and Values” requirement, which set off a nationwide debate on the humanities canon. The discussion eventually led to the establishment of Introduction to the Humanities, a yearlong interdisciplinary course for freshmen that continues to exist today. Other measures taken to ensure that Stanford undergraduates would have an educational experience akin to that of far smaller liberal arts schools included the establishment of Introductory Seminars, Sophomore College and a Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.
THE 21ST CENTURY
We live in an increasingly interconnected world that faces complex problems on a global scale. At the start of the 21st century, Stanford is uniquely prepared among universities – by its breadth of scholarship, entrepreneurial heritage and pioneering faculty – to provide research and real-world approaches to address many of these issues.
Under the presidency of John Hennessy, an electrical engineering professor and former dean of the School of Engineering and provost, the university embarked upon an ambitious five-year, $4.3 billion campaign, The Stanford Challenge, to ensure that Stanford continues to educate future leaders and to find solutions to the most pressing global challenges. The scholarly initiatives at the heart of the campaign focus on the environment, international relations, human health, the arts and K-12 education.
The new Y2E2 building is home to the Woods Institute for the Environment
One of the early and outstanding successes of the campaign was the establishment of the Woods Institute for the Environment, housed in the landmark Jerry Yang and Akiko Yamazaki Environment and Energy Building (Y2E2), an innovative “green” structure that opened in 2008.
The era of globalization means many things for Stanford: research on issues such as international security, exchanges with foreign universities, overseas opportunities for undergraduates, and collaboration with colleagues worldwide. In the area of human health, Stanford is conducting pioneering research in stem cells, bioengineering, regenerative medicine, neuroscience and cancer treatment. And, in the coming years, Stanford will be expanding its commitment to the arts by creating a new “Arts District” on campus, anchored by the existing Cantor Arts Center and including a new performing arts center, a new building for the Department of Art and Art History, and several new classroom, studio, rehearsal, and performance spaces.
“When Jane and Leland Stanford founded this university, they were investing in the future,” President Hennessy has noted. “Stanford University continues to do just that. We can’t predict, but we can ensure that our students will be the most knowledgeable of leaders, that they will make a difference and that they will creatively and skillfully guide the next century of progress and excellence.”
Stanford Selection Process
As we review applications, several ideas guide our work…
The primary criterion for admission to Stanford is academic excellence. We look for your preparation and potential to succeed. We expect you to challenge yourself throughout high school and to do very well. The most important credential that enables us to evaluate your academic record is the high school transcript. Remember, however, that our evaluation of your application goes beyond any numerical formula. There is no minimum GPA or test score; nor is there any specific number of AP or honors courses you must have on your transcript that will secure your admission to Stanford.
We want to see your commitment, dedication, and genuine interest in expanding your intellectual horizons; both in what you write about yourself and in what others write on your behalf. We want to see the kind of curiosity and enthusiasm that will allow you to spark a lively discussion in a freshman seminar and continue the conversation at a dinner table. We want to see the energy and depth of commitment you will bring to your endeavors, whether that means in a research lab, while being part of a community organization, during a performance, or on an athletic field. We want to see the initiative with which you seek out opportunities that expand your perspective and that will allow you to participate in creating new knowledge.
Just as no two Stanford students are the same, no two Stanford applicants are identical. This means that as we review each application, we must pay careful attention to unique circumstances. We take into account family background, educational differences, employment, and life experiences. By focusing on your achievements within context, we evaluate how you have excelled within your unique school environment and how you have taken advantage of what was available to you in your school and community.
It is important to know these variables are not listed in order of importance in our evaluation and selection process. We review applications in an integrated format where no one portion can be considered without the other.
Stanford students enjoy a remarkable degree of academic freedom in comparison to our Ivy League peers. Our academic programs develop the knowledge you need while preserving the flexibility you may want. Consider the following:
- Stanford’s unique quarter-system calendar allows students to take advantage of dozens of additional courses not possible under a more traditional semester calendar.
- Approximately 25% of our students pursue interdisciplinary programs such as Human Biology, Earth Science, International Relations, Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity, or Urban Studies.
- The faculty to student ratio on campus is a virtually unrivaled and intimate 6.4 to 1.
- Approximately 75% of Stanford classes have fewer than 15 students.
- Each year, over 200 seminars are offered exclusively to freshmen, each capped at 16 students.
- Stanford students can pursue double-majors, add a minor, write an honors thesis, take graduate level courses, or graduate with both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree (often in as little as 5 years.)
- Pre-professional advising in law and medicine is available and with a School of Law and School of Medicine on campus, you will find faculty members from those departments teaching undergraduate seminars.
THE PIONEERING SPIRIT OF THE AMERICAN WEST
Stanford is known internationally for its entrepreneurial culture, and the pioneering spirit of the American west pervades the intellectual climate on campus. The reputation of Stanford’s academic enterprise is a globally powerful one. Consider the following:
- $4 million is ear-marked annually for undergraduate research—more than at any other college or university in the U.S.
- A recent survey of faculty productivity (by the National Research Council) ranks Stanford among the top 10 in the U.S. for Earth Science.
- Since its founding, 26 faculty members have won the Nobel prize—ranking Stanford among the top 5 in the world.
- Both Black Enterprise Magazine and Hispanic Magazine rank Stanford among their top 10 colleges for African-Americans and Latinas/os respectively.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranks Stanford among the top 10 universities in the U.S. for federal research expenditures in science and engineering.
- Stanford had the highest number of #1 ranked academic departments and schools according to the most recent edition of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Graduate Schools.
DEGREE OPTIONS & MAJORS
Stanford offers three undergraduate degree—Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Sciences (B.S.), and Bachelor of Arts and Sciences (B.A.S.)—each designed to achieve balance between depth of knowledge acquired through specialization and breadth of knowledge gained through exploration.
Students earn undergraduate degrees in three Schools at Stanford—the School of Humanities and Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Earth Sciences. Humanities and Sciences awards about 80% of undergraduate degrees, while Engineering and Earth Sciences majors account for the remainder of the Bachelor’s degrees awarded each year.
Students who wish to pursue in depth a second field of study, in addition to completing the requirements for a major, may elect to complete a minor—a coherent program of study of at least six courses defined by the department or program.
For further information on degree options, please consult the Stanford Bulletin.
Stanford offers more than 80 fields of study in the form of majors, minors and interdisciplinary programs.
If you think you know what your major might be, accept that it might change, maybe after a Sophomore College seminar or a meeting with your research advisor. If you have no idea of a possible major, trust that you will discover your passion here, perhaps during a midnight conversation with your Resident Fellow or in an internship at one of our overseas campuses .
Welcome, we are pleased that you are interested in becoming a Stanford Cardinal. As a Stanford student-athlete, you will be surrounded by the finest coaches in the country, the highest regarded staff and world renowned faculty, not to mention the best and brightest student body. These groups of people will guide you through your journey here at Stanford and help you realize your potential both athletically and academically.
About Arrillaga Center for Sports & Recreation
The Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation, which opened in February 2006, is a 75,000 square foot recreation facility for students, faculty and staff. It includes a 11,000 square foot fitness room with weight machines and cardio equipment, the Erickson Family Courts (three full length basketball courts), the Whiting Family Climbing Wall, seven squash courts, including one glass competition court, the Fencing Center, which is home to Stanford’s Fencing team, and a 3,600 square foot studio used for yoga, Tae Kwan Do, wrestling and other activities. Also located in the building for use by Stanford’s varsity intercollegiate athletes are the Lacob Family Sports Medicine and Human Performance Center, and Rosenberg Academic Resource Center. For more information on facility hours and availability visit www.stanford.edu/dept/pe or contact (650) 724-9872.
About Arrillaga Family Sports Center
The Arrillaga Family Sports Center, which opened in January of 1994, is home to Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation (DAPER). Funded by the gifts of 23 donors, the Arrillaga Family Sports Center is a state-of-the-art facility that helps give Stanford one of the finest athletic facilities in the country. Included in the Arrillaga Family Sports Center areAthletics Department Administrative and Coaching offices, the indoor Howie Dallmar Basketball Court, the Sydney and Theodore Rosenberg Stanford Athletics Hall of Fame Room, a football locker room, a recreation locker room, the Weintz Wrestling and Martial Arts Room, a 16,000 square foot weight training facility, Jimmy V’s Sports Café, a conference center and other ancillary facilities
About the Arrillaga Weight Room and Practice Gym
On July 18, 2008, construction got underway on the newest addition to Maples Pavilion: The Arrillaga Gymnasium and Weight Room. The new facility will be located adjacent to the southwest entrance of Maples Pavilion and will include two practice courts for basketball and three for volleyball. The courts will be connected to Maples Pavilion via an underground tunnel, and space will be provided for a new varsity weight room, as well.
The Arrillaga Gymnasium and Weight Room is scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2009.
About the Avery Aquatic Center
If Stanford Athletics is “Home of Champions,” then one can argue the most prolific room in the house is the Avery Aquatic Center. Since opening in its current form in 2001, the magnificent facility has seen a trio of NCAA team champions, 37 individual NCAA titles, 11 Pacific-10 Conference team champions, 122 individual Pac-10 titles, five MPSF team winners, four U.S. Collegiate team champs, 20 U.S. Collegiate individual titles and 18 Stanford Olympians (through the 2004 Games) grace its waters in the sports of men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s water polo and synchronized swimming.
Widely considered the finest outdoor swimming and diving facility in the United States – and perhaps the world – Avery Aquatic Center will welcome the 2008 USA Olympic Swimming Team prior to the Beijing Olympics, after having also played host to the country’s Olympic swimmers before the 2004 Athens Games. 2004 also saw the facility house both the Summer Junior and Senior Nationals, while 2006 brought an international flavor with the FINA Masters World Championships – which featured 7,200 athletes from 75 different countries competing in all five aquatic disciplines. America’s best divers came to The Farm in the summer of 2007 for the Kaiser Permanente National Diving Championships, while 2009 will feature the U.S. National Synchronized Swimming Championships.
Initially christened the deGuerre Pool Complex after Dorothy and Sidney deGuerre, the original facility was completed in 1972. In May 1999, an extensive renovation and expansion began that would ensure a world-class home for Stanford Aquatics well into the future. Behind these efforts were the generosity and passion for water sports of Burt and Marion “Pete” Avery and their family.
As it stands today, Avery Aquatic Center features four separate pools: the Avery Competition Pool, the Maas Diving Center, the Belardi Pool and the Baker Pool. The main attraction is the Competition Pool, which can hold up to 2,530 fans (2,480 fixed seating) and hosts all of Stanford’s swimming, water polo and synchronized swimming events. One of the fastest pools in the nation, the Competition Pool is 37 meters long and 20 meters wide, tapers from 11 to 14 feet deep and features dual one-meter and three-meter Maxiflex springboards on the south end.
Avery Aquatic Center also houses the Maas Diving Center, which stands as the finest outdoor diving facility in the country. Stanford student-athletes, along with divers from around the world, are treated to a concrete dive tower with platforms at 1, 3, 5, 6 and 10 meters. The dive platforms are covered in Mondo Surfacing, while the tower is flanked on each side by dual one-meter and three-meter Maxiflex springboards.
Complementing the two world-class competition areas are a pair of top-rate training pools which offer Stanford student-athletes and coaches tremendous flexibility when designing training programs. The Belardi Pool is 50 meters long, 25 meters wide and tapers to a depth of 11 feet in the center, while the Baker Pool is also 50 meters long, but 25 yards wide and with a varying depth of 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet.
Stanford’s many student-athletes in the aquatic disciplines have four locker rooms at their disposal. The Sandy Foundation Men’s Team Room and the Harold A. Miller Women’s Team Room were each refurbished in 1996 by Joan and Mel Lane, while the new Men’s Timkin Room and the Women’s Team Room were completed in 2000.
The many fans of Cardinal aquatics can keep track of the meets, events and games via a Daktronics scoreboard on the north end of the Avery Competition Pool.
Avery Aquatic Center is truly among the best facilities in the world, and ensures that Stanford University and Cardinal student-athletes will be at the forefront of the aquatics world well into the future.
The Sandy Foundation Team Room (Men’s) is located on the east side of the pool deck. The Harold A. Miller Team Room (Women’s) is located on the west side of the deck level. Both rooms were refurbished by Joan and Mel Lane in 1996. In 2000, two additional team locker rooms were completed. The Men’s Timkin Team Room and the Women’s Team Room are now in use
About the Boyd & Jill Smith Family Stadium
Boyd & Jill Smith Family Stadium is home to the Stanford softball team. Phase 1 of the construction was completed prior to the 1997 season. Phase 2, completed in the spring of 2001, included permanent seating, restroom facilities, a new batting cage, and a press box.
bout Burnham Pavilion & Ford Center
Burnham Pavilion, originally known as the “Stanford Pavilion,” was built in 1921 at a cost of $153,000. Burnham is home to the men’s and women’s gymnastics teams, the wrestling team and the men’s volleyball team. The pavilion is named after Malin Burnham, a principal donor to the recent renovation project.
Burnham Pavilion has wood flooring with one inch of maple wood.
173 feet by 105 feet
About Cobb Track & Angell Field
Angell Field was originally dedicated on March 13, 1935 and named in honor of Dr. Frank Angell, who headed the Faculty Athletic Committee. It was originally built at a cost of $26,000. In 1996, the new, nine-lane track was completed, and the infield was renamed Otis Chandler Infield. In 1998, the Cathy and Dink Templeton Plaza, the bleachers, and the Payton Jordan Plaza were completed. The facility is home to both the men’s and women’s track & field teams, and is open everyday for campus recreation. In 2003, the track was resurfaced with Tartan.
The track is a 400 meter, nine-lane, all-weather track named in honor of the Charles Cobb Family. All field event competition venues except the hammer throw are contained within the track on the Otis Chandler Infield. The are multi-direction runways for the pole vault, long jump and triple jump.
Cobb Track contains the Tartan Dual-Durometer 13 mm Embedded System
Often called the most beautiful college baseball facility in the country, Klein Field at Sunken Diamond added to its beauty after remodeling before the 2001 season. The facelift for the home of Stanford Baseball includes new stadium style seating, new dugouts and a three-tier press box. Included among the 2,113 seats is new field level seating, which will include VIP Seat Side Service. To maintain the beauty of Klein Field at Sunken Diamond, the famous grass hills on both the first and third base side has been maintained. Both dugouts and the press box were completely rebuilt.
The new seating has sections named after Jack Shepard, Vince Sakowski, Clarke Nelson and Lefty May. The press box has been renamed the Bud D. Klein Press Box and the home dugout is named after former Cardinal head coaches Harry Wolter, Everett Dean, Dutch Fehring and Ray Young.
Located a short distance from Stanford Stadium (football field), the facility was originally constructed in 1931 and continues to have a seating capacity of 4,000.
In addition to being the home of Stanford Baseball, Sunken Diamond has also served as a host site for 11 NCAA Regional Tournaments – 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001, 2002, as well as NCAA Super Regionals in 1999, 2000 and 2002. A Sunken Diamond record of 4,172 fans witnessed the 1997 NCAA West Regional Final between Stanford and Fresno State.
The original fences measured 360 feet in left field, 500 feet in center and 350 feet in right. In 1978, a seven-foot high permanent inner fence was installed with measurements of 335 in left, 400 in center and 335 in right, replacing a portable fence of the same dimensions used in 1966. The seven-foot fence was increased to 10 feet in 1995.
Prior to the 2001 remodeling, numerous improvements were made to Klein Field at Sunken Diamond during the 1990’s to keep it among the best in the nation. The most significant addition was made on February 2, 1996, when lights were turned on for the first time in school history and No. 2 Stanford beat No. 1 Cal State Fullerton, 5-0. Eight towers (two 100-foot, two 90-foot and four 80-foot poles) containing one hundred fifty-eight 1500-watt metal halide luminaries light the playing field and foul areas. All the luminaries are equipped with “Level 8” Optics system, which greatly reduce the glare to players and fans.
Several other new features or renovations were noticeable at Sunken Diamond in 1996, including the 10-foot outfield fence, refurbished bullpen areas, a landscaped entry-way and a concrete walkway with railings which runs throughout the grandstand, and an equipment storage shed and player restroom in the batting cage area. In addition, 140 new oak trees were planted behind the outfield fence. Future plans call for improvements to the players and coaches clubhouse area.
A renovated batting cage area, completed in the fall of 1989, is considered one of the best in collegiate baseball. The area includes two full-length tunnel cages that open up to accommodate eight hitting areas.
The Bud D. Klein Varsity Clubhouse was completed prior to the 1988 season. The structure includes the player’s locker room, coaches offices, men’s and women’s restrooms, training room, equipment room, ticket office, and alumni reception room (Diamond Suite). The clubhouse was made possible by Bud Klein and his children – Tom, Dick, Steve and Kathy.
The Stanford Baseball program would like to thank the Diamond Club and John Arrillaga for their generous contributions and continuing support of Cardinal Baseball and Klein Field at Sunken Diamond.
Klein Field at Sunken Diamond Facts
The grass is a Bermuda Rye Blend, mowed to one inch. The dirt is a mixture of decomposed granite and clay fines.
Musco “Level 8.” Eight towers (two 100′; two 90′; and four 80′) containing 158 1500-watt metal halide luminaries light the playing field and four areas. These were installed in 1995.
A new Daktronics video scoreboard was installed for the 2008 season, and is located in right field.
The Bud D. Klein Varsity Clubhouse, completed prior to the 1988 season, helps keep Klein Field at Sunken Diamond among the most beautiful collegiate baseball facilities in the nation. The Stanford baseball program would like to extend its warmest thanks to Bud Klein and his family for their generosity and continued support of Stanford Baseball
Laird Q. Cagan Stadium serves as home to the Stanford men’s and women’s soccer programs. Formerly known as Maloney Field until the 2007 season, it was completed in 1997 and has played host to numerous collegiate, professional and international events, including the Women’s World Cup in the summer of 1999, when it was used as a practice field.
Phase I of the renovation was completed in 1997, and included the upgrade of the playing surface and the installation of temporary seating. The 115′ X 76′ game field is adjacent to practice fields measuring 130′ X 130′.
The second phase of the upgrade was completed during the 1998 season. Phase II featured the installation of 80-foot high light poles around the perimeter of the field, making it possible to host night competition in accordance to NCAA standards. Permanent seating was also installed on the west side of the field, increasing the capacity to approximately 2,000 spectators. The bleachers are precast concrete in two sections, with an entry plaza between them. A Daktronics scoreboard and message center was also added to complete the field. Enhanced landscaping and completing of Maloney Plaza link the facility to the rest of the Stanford Sports Complex.
Since the renovation of the facility, Stanford has been the host for numerous NCAA Tournament matches on both the men’s and women’s sides, including a third round match in 2006, second, third and quarterfinal matches in 2002 and 2001; first, second and third round matches in 2000, first and second round matches in 1998 and 2001, and a first round match in 1999. Temporary bleachers were added, and the games drew significantly large crowds to watch some of the best teams in collegiate soccer compete.
During the 10 seasons the Cardinal have utilized the renovated facility, the Stanford men have posted a 65-23-15 (.631) home record, while the women have compiled a 78-22-11 (.703) mark.
The facility has also been the venue for the U.S. National Teams, a number of international and professional soccer events, the Mexican Women’s National Team and the local San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer. Both the men’s and women’s soccer programs are currently working with the Facilities and Development arms of the athletic department, as well as with the Cagan family on a future renovation and seating expansion. Concepts have been created and fundraising for the project is currently underway.
225 feet by 360 feet.
Grass, Bermuda Rye Blend, mowed to one inch
One of the best environments for college basketball is Maples Pavilion. Built in 1969, Maples Pavilion has been host to several of the most memorable collegiate games in the nation.
Maples Pavilion underwent a $26-million renovation that was completed in 2004-05, ushering in a new era of great basketball that benefited both student-athletes and fans alike. Maples Pavilion serves as home for the men’s and women’s basketball teams, along with women’s volleyball program. The men’s and women’s gymnastics squads also occasionally host home meets in the facility.
The renovation, financed entirely through private donations, has enhanced the college athletic experience for both student-athletes and fans. The facelift included a new covered 29,000 square foot concourse around the exterior of the seating area, state-of-the-art concession and restroom facilities with speaker systems, in addition to a new four-sided, state-of-the-art, center-hung scoreboard with video and replay capability.
The concourse is physically separated from the original building. The gap between the original building and the new concourse was designed for two reasons: to preserve the integrity of the architectural design and create an open garden feel that is present throughout buildings on the Stanford campus. The renovation also included the new playing court floor, upgraded locker rooms, student-athlete lounges, a state-of-the-art strength and conditioning room and training room, a media workroom, photography office and Courtside Room reserved for banquets.
The seating configuration features a lower bowl seating area that replaced the old floor and loge sections. The new lower seating level includes padded stadium seats that replaced the wood bleachers in the old floor setup. With the upgraded facilities and the improved seating area at floor level, the home team and fans experience the best playing atmosphere in the Pac-10.
Stanford played its first game in Maples Pavilion on Jan. 3, 1969, losing to BYU 95-89. The following night, Stanford rebounded for a 94-78 victory over BYU. The formal dedication game was Mar. 1, 1969, as Stanford dropped a 75-66 decision to USC.
The 7,233-seat structure serves the entire university as a multi-purpose facility. It was originally built at a cost of $3.3 million. It was named after its principal donor, Roscoe Maples, a member of the 1904 Stanford class.
The pavilion is utilized throughout the year by university staff and students for recreational and intramural purposes. In addition to intercollegiate competition, physical education classes are held in Maples Pavilion. The pavilion is also used for banquets and lectures.
Maples Pavilion has earned a reputation as one of the finest facilities in the country, routinely hosting NCAA championship events. During the 2007-08 campaign, Maples Pavilion served as the host site for the following events: NCAA Women’s Volleyball first and second rounds, NCAA Women’s Volleyball Regionals, NCAA Men’s Gymnastics Championship and NCAA Women’s Basketball first and second rounds for the second straight season.
Located in the foothills above the Stanford University campus, the Stanford University Golf Course is consistently rated one of the finest courses in the world. In 1998, the golf course was rated 91st in the country by Golf Week Magazine and in 1993 was rated 88th in the world by Golf Magazine.
In the 1920s, Stanford students lobbied for a golf course. The golf team was using the Burlingame Course for practice and was coached by the Burlingame pro Harold Sampson. Luckily, the students found an enthusiast in Almon E. Roth ’09, the University Controller, who had become hooked on the game and was a member of the Los Altos Country Club. In February 1929, he persuaded the Stanford University Board of Trustees to provide the land and finance the construction of a golf course at the University. In 1930, Roth and Al Masters, the manager of the Athletic Department, hired by renowned golf course architects George C. Thomas Jr. and William “Billy” Bell to design and build the course.
Construction began in May of 1929, with great care being taken to preserve the oak trees. Ultimately, only 75 had to be removed. At that time, water for the irrigation of the campus came from Searsville Lake. Since a much great quantity of water would be required for the golf course, Felt Lake was enlarged to a capacity of 278,000,000 gallons. By December the course was ready. “Dick” Templeton, the track coach who first used starting blocks in track meets, was in the first foursome on opening day, January 1, 1930.
The course cost $188,000 to design and build. Enlarging Felt Lake cost $190,000 and the club house cost $54,000.
Stanford University Golf Course is steeped in tradition. Throughout the years, Stanford has hosted many intercollegiate and non-collegiate events, including the Stanford Invitational, Peg Barnard Intercollegiate, Pac-10 Championships, NCAA Western Regional, Women’s NCAA Championships, USGA Junior Amateur Qualifying, U.S. Open Qualifying and The Gathering at the Farm, a former Senior PGA Tour event.
Stanford University Golf Course has also produced many influential golfers throughout the years. Such notables include former USGA presidents Sandy Tatum and Grant Spaeth, and PGA Tour professionals Tom Watson, Tiger Woods and Notah Begay III
About Stanford Rowing & Sailing Center
For close to a century, the shores of Redwood City have been home to Stanford Crew. In 1905, Stanford undergraduates recognized the need for a boating club and constructed the first boathouse for intercollegiate competition. With the donation of rowing shells from the Universities of California, Washington and Cornell, Stanford Crew was formed. From this humble beginning, the Cardinal has moved into the next millennium.
The Cardinal crews now take advantage of the facility everyday. The two story complex has five boat bays, over 16,000 square feet of space, locker rooms, a conference room/banquet hall/training room area, a laundry room, a history room, and a kitchen area. Outdoor elements will not be a factor as the boathouse is designed to adapt to varying tidal depths. The enduring space that the boathouse provides will give rowers a comfortable off-campus home.
“Our Rowing and Sailing Center gives student-athletes the ideal respite from academia and enhances the quality of rowing,” noted Men’s Head Coach and Director of Rowing Craig Amerkhanian. “It works as a wonderful gathering place for Cardinal rowers, past and present. The competitive atmosphere that only a boathouse provides will resonate in its halls.”
Lee Ashby of Hoover Associates and Vance Brown served as the Rowing and Sailing Center architect and contractor, respectively. The exact needs of the Stanford rowing community will be maintained and upheld in the new facility.
The construction of the Rowing and Sailing Center would not have been possible without the financial contributions of Stanford Crew supporters. The team and coaching staff recognize and appreciate their involvement.
In the rapid development of the region, Stanford Crew’s foundation is secure. Still located in the port of Redwood City, the Stanford stamp of excellence is even brighter. Placed across from the Bair Island nature conservatory, the Boathouse stands looking out towards San Francisco Bay, a permanent symbol of tradition and teamwork in the thriving business community it inhabits
A new Stanford Stadium was unveiled in 2006, making the Home of Stanford Football one of the premier college football facilities in the nation. Originally built in 1921, Stanford Stadium played host to many historic events including the Super Bowl XIX, men’s and women’s World Cup Soccer matches, Olympic soccer competition, Presidential nomination, Track & Field, and numerous college football games.
The $100 million project on the new stadium began on November 26, 2005, moments after Stanford’s final game. The project was completed in an unprecedented 42-weeks, in time to host the Cardinal’s 2006 home opener versus Navy on September 16.
The state-of-the-art stadium is set in a park-like setting among groves of eucalyptus and oak trees.
- 50,000 stadium seats
- Seven luxury Skybox suites (3rd and 4th floors of Skybox)
- 400 Director’s Level Seats (2nd floor of Skybox)
- 16,510 square feet of private meeting room space
- Two high-resolution video scoreboards
- Closed circuit television
- 200 concession points of sale
- On site stadium merchandise shop
- Natural turf playing field
Steuber Rugby Stadium is home to both the men’s and women’s Rugby teams. Stadium construction was completed in March 2003 at a cost of $3 million. The facility is named after the Steuber Family.
80m x 150m within fence. 70m x 132m playable field with 5 m run out.
The field is Tif-2 Hybrid Bermuda with Rye over seeding and a Sand filled Channel Drain.
The scoreboard was designed by Daktronics for rugby use only.
The Doyle Family Rugby Clubhouse is located behind the bleacher overlooking the Rugby Field. The Clubhouse is used for Pre and Post Game Events and can also serve as a meeting space for the teams
The Taube Tennis Center is the most beautiful and functional facility in Northern California, and is home to both the Men’s and Women’s Stanford Tennis Teams. Originally built in 1926, the Taube Tennis Center has undergone many renovations and additions over the years and today its two sites (the Taube Family Tennis Stadium and the adjacent Taube South Courts) seat approximately 3,500.
The Taube Tennis Center has hosted several major tennis championships over the years, both on the collegiate and professional levels, including over 10 years of the Bank of West Championship, a WTA tour event. Other hosted championships include the 1999 Fed Cup Finals (U.S. vs. Russia), the 2001 Siebel Champions Tour, four NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships, and the first ever combined men’s and women’s NCAA Championships in 2006. Many of the best players in the world have played at the facility, including John McEnroe, Jimmy Conners, Bjorn Borg, Mats Wilander, Venus and Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis, Mary Pierce, and Kim Clijsters.
Stanford’s original 11-court intercollegiate tennis facility was built in 1926. It provided grandstand seating for viewing of three stadium courts for approximately 600 spectators. Since that time, the facility has been completely rebuilt and has grown into one of the finest in the nation.
In 1983, the Ralph Rodriguez Clubhouse was built. It later became the cornerstone of further facility upgrades. It provides meeting rooms and coaching staff office space. It houses the Orsak Family Heritage Room, featuring one of the most impressive displays of collegiate success in any sport in the nation.
In 1989, the old bleacher-type seating was demolished and a beautiful 1160 individual seat stadium was erected using the Ralph Rodriguez Clubhouse as its center. This structure contains men’s and women’s team locker rooms, additional office space, and an indoor practice range.
The Craig R. Johnson Players’ Lounge is a popular team gathering place and study area. It was donated by the former 1976 standout and his family.
In 1996, The Russ and Jackie Thompson Video Center was added, courtesy of Jackie Thompson in memory of her late husband who was a great friend of Stanford tennis. This state-of-the-art center provides video feeds from cameras mounted on seven courts and allows players and coaches the ability to review each practice and all matches.
Thanks to the lead generosity of Tad and Dianne Taube, as well as over 600 other former players and supporters, The Taube Family Tennis Stadium was completed in the spring of 1997. It features 2500 individual seats, a championship Plexicushion indoor court and substantial office space. The Koret and Fluegel Family Conference Rooms are an important component of the building and are serviced by a kitchenette, restrooms and substantial storage space.
In 1999, the Phil and Penny Knight Scoreboard was erected allowing for live updated scoring for all eleven courts of the stadium and for the internet.
Soon after, the Victor and Gwen Riches FamilyTutorial Rooms, home of the East Palo Alto Tennis and Tutoring Program, lighting for all eleven courts, and the Bill and Dixie Gates Heritage Plaza were added.
In 2004, the Taube South Complex was completed, featuring six lighted courts, a scoreboard and permanent spectator seating. In 2005, permanent bleachers were added to the competitive courts east of the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. Now, all 17 Taube Tennis Center courts have spectator viewing and championship lighting. Also added was a wireless system allowing umpires to relay the score of any of the 17 courts directly to the scoreboard, and from there to the Stanford Athltics website. Thanks to the generosity of Michael and Chris Boskin, web users can view any of the six matches live.
The Taube Tennis Center is one of the best tennis facilities in the nation. It was named by the U.S. Tennis Court and Track Builders Association as an “Outstanding Outdoor Tennis Facility” in recognition of excellence in design and construction.
Among the most outstanding in Northern California, the court is concrete with a plexi-pave acrylic surface.
This is the building on the north side of the facility. It holds offices, an indoor court and the Craig R. Johnson Family Players Lounge with the Russ and Jackie Thompson video center. The Ralph Rodriguez Founder’s Room is an inclement weather workout area that contains a practice court. The Orsak Family Heritage Room is a multipurpose room used for team meetings and pre and post match receptions for box seat holders. It contains a kitchenette and a large screen television.
The Phil and Penelope Knight Scoreboard and message center is 34 feet by 8 inches wide and controlled by consoles at each court. A scoreboard message center is used to acknowledge program sponsors and to update match and schedule announcements. The scoreboard is also connected to the internet allowing anyone to view live match updates from any computer console. An auxiliary scoreboard for the backcourts was installed in 1999
About the Varsity Field Hockey Turf
The Stanford field hockey program begins its 12th season on the Varsity Field Hockey Turf in 2009. The state-of-the-art facility was made possible by numerous donations, including generous contributions by the Levinson Family.
With a seating capacity of 500 and measuring over 111,000 square feet, the artificial turf surface is considered one of the top playing fields in the country and the premier surface in the NorPac Conference.
The 2009 campaign will feature the addition of lights to the facility, with night games on the ledger for the first time in school history. Four towers (90-foot poles) containing 30 1500-watt metal Halide Fixtures light the playing field. The poles feature the Total Light Control (TLC) visors, which efficiently direct light onto the playing surface while reducing the off-site glare to surrounding areas.
The Varsity Field Hockey Turf has served as the host site for the NorPac Conference Championship on three different occasions (1999, 2002 and 2007). Two years ago, Stanford captured the conference tournament crown with a 3-1 victory over California. Three days later, the Cardinal hosted an NCAA Tournament contest for the first time in school history, blanking Lock Haven 1-0 in a play-in game. Stanford will once again serve as the host site for the conference tournament in 2009.
In January of 2004, the facility hosted a pair of international field hockey series featuring the U.S. National Team in its preparation for 2004 Olympic qualifying matches. The Varsity Field Hockey Turf has also hosted the Sony Field Hockey Challenge, a two-day tournament bringing together a blend of collegiate and international competition, for three straight seasons